WineXpert potassium metabisulfite taste

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

globalnavigator

Reaction score
I bottled my second kit today, an inexpensive Chardonnay from Winexpert. Let me say that I'm mostly a red wine drinker, but I thought the chard tasted good when I stole a small glass with the wine thief. However, I decided to split the batch into half bottled before adding the meta, and bottled the second half after adding the meta. After adding meta, it no longer tasted good to me. I am guessing that the meta taste will go away in time (6 months?). Does all that sound right?

Also, could the addition of meta be why I'm not grooving on the nebbiolo (first kit I made)? I bottled on 9/6/15, and tried a bottle this past weekend.

Are you saying you split the batch and bottled 1/2 without any KMETA and the other 1/2 you added KMETA to and now it taste weird? Did you only add half the packet of KMETA since you split the batch in two? If you added the entire packet to only 3 gallons there is your problem.

With a 1/8 tsp measuring spoon? Or about half of a 1/4 tsp measuring spoon. I hope there is some degree of wiggle room allowed. Since the instructions call for 1/4 tsp if I'm going to hold it for 6+ months time, I assumed as much.

It sounds like you accurately added the amount you wanted. The next question is, did it need it? How much and how often did you add it up to this point.

I'm sorry but I have to tell this, I saw this post and read test not taste. I thought all you have to do is smell the dry powder, if it knocks your socks off its still good.

How old is your nebbiolo? That one is going to take some time...

I'd like to help out here if I can, but need to clarify (ha!) a couple of things:
When you say you added half the KMeta to half the batch, are you referring to the package that came with the kit, or the extra dossage the instructions refer to if you intend aging the wine for more than 6 months?

I'd like to help out here if I can, but need to clarify (ha!) a couple of things:
When you say you added half the KMeta to half the batch, are you referring to the package that came with the kit, or the extra dossage the instructions refer to if you intend aging the wine for more than 6 months?

I'm referring to the "extra dossage the instructions refer to if you intend aging the wine for more than 6 months". I figure I will use the bottles without the "extra" during the first 6 months after bottling, and save the batch "with the extra" after 6 months time.

Latest posts

Back