Anyone use winestix

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derekjames100

Reaction score
I have 18 gallons--was gonna toss 3 stix in for 8 weeks....

Right amount/time? Safer to use two stix for recommended time as you need time to get appropriate integration?

Do I sanitize?
What is the hole for--do i tie to a string or just drop all three in my steel tank?

Last edited:
Funny how you post a question about a day before I want to...same question is 8 weeks a good time frame for the winestix?

I think the hole is for tying something (I use fishing line) and anchor it outside your tank/carboy so you can pluck it out if the taste gets too intense. At that point I usually rack it and use the stix in the bbq.

I have used them in the past year. They are good quality but they were selling 2 x 18" for the same amount that they are now selling 2 x 8".......

They claim each stick will flavor 6 gallons but somehow they went down over 50% in size and now sell for the same amount.

So I would leave them in for 12 weeks just to make sure you get full extraction. The hole is for a piece of fishing line to pull it out easily.

I have used them in the past year. They are good quality but they were selling 2 x 18" for the same amount that they are now selling 2 x 8".......

They claim each stick will flavor 6 gallons but somehow they went down over 50% in size and now sell for the same amount.

So I would leave them in for 12 weeks just to make sure you get full extraction. The hole is for a piece of fishing line to pull it out easily.

Ok thanks. Then do you think sticking 3 in 16-18 gallon tank is too much then? Should I use 2?

I use the spiral med toast sticks. Last years cab I put 2 sticks in each 6 gal carboy, left them in for a few months till I racked. I figure that after a few week they are not putting out much favor. This year I will put 1 in each 6 gal carboy of pino Gris . Like a heavier oak in a hardy red.

I use them and leave them in the carboy and forget about them until I am ready to bottle. Some have been in there for three years but who cares, they are past their prime. I think they are like spirals and will give off their stuff for up to three months or so. I use chips during fermentation also. My preference is spirals but they are more expensive.

Chips and cubes are said to give up 90% of their usefulness in 14 days or less. Sticks would take a bit longer - less exposed surface area. I have used them and allowed a month. Everyone's taste being different, give them a month,,,, give it a taste!

Sounds like the right amount... But don't be afraid to just leave them in longer... No harm.... I keep them after done and use them on the grill for added flavor!

Back