Sulfur odor in my Apfelwein

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello. Rhino fart help :?... I started my apple wine!

It is day 4, is this normal? ...

One bin had a significant amount of more pulp in it than the other bin. I allowed them to rest for 24 hours before pitching the yeast (Lalvin 71B-1122). When I pitched the yeast, the temp. of the must was around 60 degrees F.
The bin with the extra pulp began to ferment while the other did nothing. So I moved them both to a warmer place for 2 days and still nothing was happening in the bin with less pulp! So I decided to sprinkle some high alcohol wine yeast over the top and now it has started fermenting but there is a sulfur odor! UGH :?
I gave it a stir and added some extra yeast nutrient just now. Although there was plenty of nutrient in there before with the pulp, B1 tablet, 2 tsp yeast nutrient and 3 cups of sultanas (I was told that the high alcohol wine yeast needs a lot of nutrient to keep the sulfur odor from forming).

They are still in primary fermentation with a lid just covering both bins.

IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN DO TO REMEDY THIS sulfur odor? ANYTHING I CAN ADD TO IT TO MAKE THE SMELL GO AWAY? WILL IT GO AWAY IN TIME? :? Should I stir it every day more than once to aerate it?

Last edited:
Back