When to press

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derekjames100

Reaction score
My fermentation went fast -- Brix 23 on Friday, 8 on Saturday, zero on Sunday 0 to -1 today. When would you press? Do I need to wait until -2? Part of me want to press and get it away from the gross lees as soon as a can since I had a h2s issue and make sure the wine is protected from oxygen. There is still a cap but a lot less bubbles.

What would be the risk of pressing at -1? Will it prevent it from getting to -2 when I rack off gross lees?

Last edited:
As long as you have a cap forming your safe plenty of CO2. Once the cap starts slumping and is wet/soggy you need to press. It sounds like you need to press pretty quick. If your still having H2S issues then rack off the gross lees sooner rather than later but wait at least 24-48 hours to clear and pack down a bit.

Ok. After 5 hours of work, I'm pressed--110 liter tank is full. Not smelling h2s much but my plan is to rack in 24 hrs, add reduless(since I smelled h2s during ferment), then do a second rack in 72 hours which will take care of any additional gross lees and the reduless addition.

Is that a good plan

No need to add reduless if you are not currently getting an H2S smell. It doesn't matter if you smelled it during ferment, it can blow off all by itself. When you (splash) rack smell the wine as it goes into the new vessel. If it smells clean your golden. If it doesn't then fix it with reduless. I would let it compact for 48 hours myself and just let your sense of smell be your guide.

Back