Cleaning vacuum sealed raisins from the store?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeginnerMark

Reaction score
I want to put about a pound of raisins that I bought from the store in my soon to be wine... Do I need to clean it with sulfite? If so what's the ratio and how?

Thanks

What do you mean @doctorCAD? Why would I use raisins or why would I sanitize them? I don't understand sorry [emoji2]

He means "Why would you sulfite them"? It turns out that raisins have TONS of sulfites on them to keep them from spoiling. If you rinsed them in a sulfite solution, you would probably wind up with LESS sulfites!

Just finished the first couple steps of the wine... Sorry to bother you guys but I have 3 questions

1.You said that I leave it 24 hours before putting in the yeast in order to know if the primary is sanitized... How do I know if it's not sanitized?

2.Also I put sugar and KMETA until I got a hydrometer reading of about 1.10 not 1.150 like you said in the recipe because I didn't want 20% alcohol so I reduced the sugar to get about 13-15% alcohol... Is this ok?

3.And last question sorry to bother you... At what SG do I switch it to the carboy and at what SG do I rack it over... Since I changed the original SG I'm pretty sure this would change too right?

Thanks a lot!

Back