WineXpert I think I messed up clearing.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gomezks

Junior
Reaction score
Hi all. I waited 28 days with clearing stage. Checked wine at it was nice. I racked it to a 2nd carboy before bottling but tried to filter the last of it with a funnel. This did not work [emoji23] do I have to wait another 28 days? Or will 7 days work?

It should settle in a lot less than 4 weeks this time around. I suspect your guess of a week is close to correct.

Next time, rack all the clear stuff to a new carboy, stopping conservatively before reaching the sediment. Pour the dregs into a taller, narrower vessel, like a mason jar or the like, and put it in the fridge. After this settles, you can pretty easily pour off the clear stuff, stopping by eye before the sediment comes out.

Yep what Paul said but to be honest with you I still wouldn't bottle if you leave it sit in the carboy for another 3 months you'll find 1/2" of sediment the longer you leave it sit the clearer it will be and less likely you are to have bottle bombs

Last edited:
I did a similar thing with a batch that I was making for a wedding - After a couple days nothing at all was falling out. I added a batch of Super-Kleer, and it worked like a champ, clearing within a day.

Hi all. I waited 28 days with clearing stage. Checked wine at it was nice. I racked it to a 2nd carboy before bottling but tried to filter the last of it with a funnel. This did not work [emoji23] do I have to wait another 28 days? Or will 7 days work?

You didn't mess it up.

Seems like it should be clear in a week or so. I would give it a good stir to be sure it is degassed, then wait a week and see if it is clear.

I have had clear batches suddenly get cloudy when I move the carboy gently, even seeing things that look like tornados in the wine. That's gas. You have to stir and wait if gas is present. You can do the test where you shake up a sample.

Heather

Back