bentonite and isinglass

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WinoNick

Junior
Reaction score
In my winexpert kit it instructs to put the bentonite at the beginning and then the isinglass at a later step. Arent these both clarifying agents? Or are they both needed to clarify the wine?

That's correct, they both aid in clarifying. Follow the instructions!

Now im not a pro but my understanding is one is helping settle the negative charged and one is helping settle the positive charged. If im wrong I hope somebody will let me kno

Bentonite takes care of protein hazes and is generally used up front. Chitosan, Kieselsol and Isinglass are used later to remove either a +/- charged particle. These agents are added to usually speed up the clearing process. If you have time on your side usually you can wait it out and the wine will clear on it's own.

In my winexpert kit it instructs to put the bentonite at the beginning and then the isinglass at a later step. Arent these both clarifying agents? Or are they both needed to clarify the wine?

They are included in the kits as clarifying agents. If you are able to give your kits more time, they will clear without them. That's what I do - just exclude the isinglass and let time clear and degass it.

I also exclude sorbate if I am not back-sweetening.

I typically use the bentonite, but I think I will do my next kits without and see how it goes. With juice pails an frozen must, I just use yeast and kmeta for the most part. I try to keep my wine simple and pure to the greatest extent possible.

Heather

Back