Blackberries!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Medic8106

Reaction score
So I came across some free blackberries, well free with the gift of some of my wine... I picked about 18 lbs so far, with more to come. They have been frozen awaiting my time to make some wine. I made BlackBerry dragons blood last year which turned out good. Any suggestions for this year? I haven't made just a blackberry wine yet.

1438610648547.jpg

1438610658875.jpg

There's a very detailed thread about making a pure blackberry wine that is really awesome. I've got a batch going based on it that is only a few months old, still unsweetened but already very berry flavored. Might want to take some time and read through it before getting started. Best of Luck!

Find and read this one...

"critique/inputs for blackberry wine" by vernsgal

Mike

I've made many batches of straight blackberry and love it along with the people I share it with. Don't like to share too much since wild berry patches are hard to find in great quantities. Have made from the cans of juice as well but found making the five gallon batch gave me a thin wine, next ones will be three gallon batches only.

http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=565636#post565636

This is the post Krafty is talking about. I, too, have 60# of blackberries in my freezer, but summers are so crazy around here I decided to wait till fall when I have more time to read and make this wine. I have read through the post twice and made notes....but until the green house slows down and canning gets finished.....

After reading that thread I'm thinking maybe I'll just stick with the blackberry dragons blood. It turned out great last year and everyone liked it. I'm not really into heavy bodied wines anyway... I wouldn't want to use up all these great berries with a mediocre product at the end. I have enough berries now for two full batches of dragon blood with nearly doubling the fruit. Why have only a few bottles of wine in the end when I could have 50!

Back