Who uses oak cubes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chateau Joe

Snowbelt Fermenter
Reaction score
I've got 6 oz. med. Hungarian cubes sitting on 6 gallons of Carmenere'.

How long do you allow your cubes to soak on your wines? Is there an amount of time where it becomes pointless for further soaking?

8 Weeks would be the max.

I would taste at the wine 4 weeks, 6 weeks, and 8 weeks and pull the wine off of the oak when it has the desired amount of oakiness.

I've got 6 oz. med. Hungarian cubes sitting on 6 gallons of Carmenere'.

How long do you allow your cubes to soak on your wines? Is there an amount of time where it becomes pointless for further soaking?

As you imply, yes, the cubes will give everything they have to give within some time frame. I have read here that this is as little as 6 weeks. However, Morewine! claims it is more like 3-6 mos. I am confident that the extraction rate slows waaay down at the end...

I have found that my oakiness falls way back so I tend to oak my wine past the point that I like it knowing that the oakiness will be less once the wine has aged. I try to age my wines in the carboy/barrel for a minimum 6 months then wait as long as I can stand it before drinking.

Back