Testing for ripeness

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwhill40

Reaction score
Hello,

Question concerning determining ripeness. I pretty much understand the brix thing and have a meter but I have questions about ph.

What is a good target ph?

What kind of sample should I gather?

What is an inexpensive simple field test setup for measuring acid?

TIA

If I'm not mistaken, harvest is usually based more on brix than acid. As your brix starts to get near where you want it, acid is going down. Not an issue, as it can be added back.

all the numbers are important. it is true that as brix increase the acid will go down. there are some grapes where the brix will achieve the proper level and change very little as the acid and ph change. grapes with large amounts of malic acid usually follow this rule. bottom line monitor all levels.
for acid measurement take sample throughout the vineyard, in front of cluster as well as behind the cluster. take into lab crush to get liquid and measure acid an ph. Usually I measure brix every other day until it get close than every day there after. acid measurement can then follow every other day depending in how much change is observed in first samples. I am not aware of any easy accurate field test for acid.

follow the standard acid test using a ph meter and titrate for the acid level. take the sample of grapes crush to get enough liquid about 20 ml add water then titrate using the standard method and your ph meter.
if you are not familiar with details go ahead an Google "acid testing in grapes" there are a lot of references on the internet.

Since I'm not commercial and give a hoot about chaptalization or not and I can add any acid after crushing, I've found the real distinction of good or bad wine is the management of acidity. The stout but softer acid taste and feel of the wine is what matters most. What is the preferred TA of a crush at pre-vinification time for a hot grapey red wine?

acid levels of 7-9g/l are acceptable. use the finished wine volume for calculation. if not as you desire bench trials post fermentation once wine is clear can be made to adjust acid to your specific taste. use tartaric only for grapes.
if making a high abv wine, tsste trial post fermentation are recommended to balance the alcohol.

Back