Flex tank

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocco

Reaction score
I've been wanting a flex tank, 15 gallons good for me. My wife surprised me or Father's Day and got the 30 gallon, thinking bigger the better. Problem is I've never made a 30 gallon batch.

So I guess I'm stuck making 30 gallons in the fall.

Anyone have one?? Do you like? Can you sanitize w star San or k meta

How many pounds of grapes do I need???

Last edited:
I have 3 of the 30gal flex tanks. I wouldn't mind getting 1 or 2 of the 15gal units also. For a 30gal batch, I use about 500 lbs of frozen must, 10 pails, depending on the grapes, this gives you a few extra gallons for top-up during the first few rackings.

I have the 30 gallon Blichman Wineasy and I fill it with the must of 250lbs fresh grapes.

In my case, I was referring to the Brehm frozen must, mostly Bordeaux varietals from Sonoma and Napa, which I've been using since 1990. This stuff has a very high skin to juice ratio. I'm using a 60gal stainless vat for the primary.

30 gallon flex here. Really like the Flex-ability. Clean it with pbw, sanitze with star-san. For grape planning, I use 20 lb per gallon so that I have plenty left over for topping or another carboy project.

F2FAD0E6-1C0B-4E6E-9ABC-E0F3C36B491F.jpg

Last edited:
30 gallon flex here. Really like the Flex-ability. Clean it with pbw, sanitze with star-san. For grape planning, I use 20 lb per gallon so that I have plenty left over for topping or another carboy project.

F2FAD0E6-1C0B-4E6E-9ABC-E0F3C36B491F.jpg

Great answer sir. Thank you. So I will need 600 pounds of grapes and should be able to fill this with juice after press?

Taking my last year actuals, I got 36 gallons pressed out of 600 lbs. That was plenty for 30 gallon Flex and the rackings. Of course it depends on varietal, grape condition, equipment, but 20 pounds per gallon of pressed wine should be very safe.

Hey NorCal,

How has the Flex tank worked out for your wines?

I've been eye balling this vessel for a long time, specially now that they have the smaller 15gal version.

I bought a small 23L vadai barrel and many folks say there's no comparison to an oak barrel maturation and all that.

Geek, I only have one season under my belt with the tank. It looks to be an excellent tool. This year, I plan on doing a blush ferment in it, followed by storing in there for 6 months following. I also have a few barrels and they take significantly more care and feeding.

Back