Apple wine flavor is off

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

montanaWineGuy

Reaction score
There is some haze, and it might improve with age. But I have ordered some Bentonite for future wines. Q: can I put my apple wine back in the carboy and attempt to clear it, or is it to late and I just have see what some time will do.

Wine is not bad, just can be better.

Is the problem flavor or appearance? If appearance, did you add pectic enzyme way back before you pitched the yeast? The haze may be being caused by pectins in the apple. I think that you can still add pectic enzyme after fermentation is over (Not certain about that because I understand that yeast interferes with the action of the enzyme - but after fermentation is over and if you have racked the wine from time to time there should be very few yeast cells in the wine... ). If the problem is flavor, what can you say about the flavor that "could be better"?

yes you can add it back to a carboy and remember never bottle a wine that is not clear and try some pectic enzyme. You may have a pectic haze.

I did use pectin enzyme. And it is clear(er) then way before. I'm going to try and add some sugar first, then I'll pitch a 1/4 tsp bentonite into a bottle and let it sit.

If I was to describe the flavor, I'd say it is dull, no pop. Like dirty warm water. That may be a bit harsh, but in the right direction.

Last edited:
A dullness and lack of "pop" may be due to too little acidic bite. Was the wine made from eating apples or from apples grown to have more acidity and tannins? Can you check the TA? You may want/need to add some malic acid (malic is the acid that gives apples their "zing"). You may also want to consider adding some tannin - that is the chemical in fruit (and wine) that makes your mouth pucker.

to add to BernardSmith's comment, I noticed apple just doesn't seem to have much flavor until it has aged at least a year and the best at 2 years.

These are Washington apples given to me by a neighbor. According to my recipe, they are the wrong type of apples to use. Perhaps that is the problem.

I'm going to let it sit for a couple of months and see what happens before I taste it again and trying something like BernardSmith has recommended.

A couple miles from me along the river is a Golden Delicious apple tree, and again is the wrong type of apples. I was out there yesterday and it looks like it is going to produce a lot of apples this year. I'm wondering if I pick them early, before they develop to full ripeness/sweetness, if that would give me the more tart flavor, like a granny smith or a crab apple, that is the recommended apple for wine making.

to add to BernardSmith's comment, I noticed apple just doesn't seem to have much flavor until it has aged at least a year and the best at 2 years.

Hi Julie, I tend to agree that apple flavors bursts through after about a year but I have made cider (about 5 or 6 % ABV) and apple wine (11 or 12% ABV) from "cider" apples and the flavor is front and center 4 - 6 months after I pitch the yeast, although after about 12 months the flavor just moves into a completely different dimension. The secret, I think, is the yeast (I prefer 71B for apples) and low temperature fermentation - and the variety of apples - you do need some sweet apples (high sugar content) some acidic apples and apples with lots of tannin - and those characteristics do not come in any one variety - except perhaps Gravenstein apples which - sadly - do not seem to be grown locally...

I would shy away from 71b due to its temptation to reduce malic acid. the new QA23 or Cotes DE blanc arr better candidates. I agree that using malic acid is the best approach. Although the apples may not be the best recommended adding malic acid preferemtnation would enhance the wine. add enough to have 7 g/l TA

M W G, I agree with Julie & others, Apple wine is best at 18 mo & beyond. A little back sweetening will bring out more flavor. U can also oak it a little, U can add spices too, like cinnamon, ginger, etc & make spiced apple. Try it on a smaller batch, before U do the whole carboy. We have some 4 yr old Apple that is awesome! It too started out a little boring. Roy

M W G, I agree with Julie & others, Apple wine is best at 18 mo & beyond. A little back sweetening will bring out more flavor. U can also oak it a little, U can add spices too, like cinnamon, ginger, etc & make spiced apple. Try it on a smaller batch, before U do the whole carboy. We have some 4 yr old Apple that is awesome! It too started out a little boring. Roy

That is now Plan A. Let it sit for a good while. Thanks.

The best apple wine I have made was made with only golden delicious apples. All that needs to be done is add acid and some tannin...........and give it plenty of time!!!!!!

BOB

I have some Acid Blend and some Tannin showing up tomorrow, and I want to fix this Apple Wine. I originally thought that Acid Blend was to be added, and now I'm not sure. I can't measure anything. It's all by taste.

Will either give me the pop I'm lacking? If I add just a little and do taste tests, which one should I start with?

A dullness and lack of "pop" may be due to too little acidic bite. Was the wine made from eating apples or from apples grown to have more acidity and tannins? Can you check the TA? You may want/need to add some malic acid (malic is the acid that gives apples their "zing"). You may also want to consider adding some tannin - that is the chemical in fruit (and wine) that makes your mouth pucker.

This is spot-on, here.

These are Washington apples given to me by a neighbor. According to my recipe, they are the wrong type of apples to use. Perhaps that is the problem.

I'm going to let it sit for a couple of months and see what happens before I taste it again and trying something like BernardSmith has recommended.

A couple miles from me along the river is a Golden Delicious apple tree, and again is the wrong type of apples. I was out there yesterday and it looks like it is going to produce a lot of apples this year. I'm wondering if I pick them early, before they develop to full ripeness/sweetness, if that would give me the more tart flavor, like a granny smith or a crab apple, that is the recommended apple for wine making.

Eating apples, Goldens, Red, apples like those, make good wine, but the flavor takes time to turn from "dirty dish water" to actual apple wine. Letting it sit will definitely help.

Hi Julie, I tend to agree that apple flavors bursts through after about a year but I have made cider (about 5 or 6 % ABV) and apple wine (11 or 12% ABV) from "cider" apples and the flavor is front and center 4 - 6 months after I pitch the yeast, although after about 12 months the flavor just moves into a completely different dimension. The secret, I think, is the yeast (I prefer 71B for apples) and low temperature fermentation - and the variety of apples - you do need some sweet apples (high sugar content) some acidic apples and apples with lots of tannin - and those characteristics do not come in any one variety - except perhaps Gravenstein apples which - sadly - do not seem to be grown locally...

Low temps do make a big difference, for sure. But the beauty of a good apple wine in is the apple variety. Some of the old world apples, that are only good for cider, make good ciders or wines as stand-alones, but as Bernard mentioned, most are better off in a combination.

I have some Acid Blend and some Tannin showing up tomorrow, and I want to fix this Apple Wine. I originally thought that Acid Blend was to be added, and now I'm not sure. I can't measure anything. It's all by taste.

Will either give me the pop I'm lacking? If I add just a little and do taste tests, which one should I start with?

Go slow, and start with the Acid Blend. It'll give you what you're lookin for. Tannins will add a bit of astringency, a puckering bitterness. Not a bad thing, but like the flavor, it takes time to "come into being", or find a balance with the rest of the wine.

The Acid Blend will sort out the "pop" though
Go slooow

Go slow, and start with the Acid Blend. It'll give you what you're lookin for. Tannins will add a bit of astringency, a puckering bitterness. Not a bad thing, but like the flavor, it takes time to "come into being", or find a balance with the rest of the wine.

The Acid Blend will sort out the "pop" though
Go slooow

Thanks. Will do. I plan to open 5 and experiment in a gallon jug. Hopefully, I'll get it right, and duplicate the success on the last 5.

If this works out, I'll get busy on the nearby apple tree along the river.

From embarrassingly bad to pretty damn good, with just under 1tsp of Acid Blend. Which is about 4 times as much AB, then the/a recipe calls for.

Apple tree was finally ready. Shook the tree in and few minutes I filled a 5 gallon bucket. All my carboys are in use, and I'm thinking I'll just use the fermentation buckets for racking.

This will be extra heavy on taste as I'm using maybe twice the fruit needed. With that in mind I backed off on the amount of sugar I would normally use. :db

Latest posts

Back