Elderflower and body

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

comeauch

Reaction score
Hi all!

I want to make a elderflower wine from dried flowers, but I have found a few different recipes. Some use raisins, others grape concentrate, others no "body" additive.

How strong (in taste) are elderflowers typically? From what I've read, I think about 1 oz (dried) per galleon is my best bet, but if I'm going to use concentrate, I'm afraid I might end up losing the flowers' taste. Anyone has tried making/drinking this wine?

I also have a more generic question related to this: many websites and books (e.g. Jack Keller's) list "Grape Concentrate" as an ingredient... Would you use Welch's? I have made wine purely from Welch's before and found it OK, but the flavour is quite characteristic at 3cans/galleon. As an additive, only 1 can/galleon is suggested... have you done it before? Do you taste the foxiness? Or do you use something else when thinking "grape concentrate"?

Thanks!

At one can per gallon for body I can't appreciate any foxiness. But I've never used more, and all of my wines have some considerable amount of other fruit/flower.

For some reason, white Welch's concentrate can't be found anywhere in my area for the last several months.

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

We make a mead out of elderflowers and honey, I think the honey gives it more body even if you dong finish it up to sweet, our elderberries are just starting to make flowerheads and we will soon be gathering them ourselves. WVMJ

At one can per gallon for body I can't appreciate any foxiness. But I've never used more, and all of my wines have some considerable amount of other fruit/flower.

Great! Thanks :)

We make a mead out of elderflowers and honey, I think the honey gives it more body even if you dong finish it up to sweet, our elderberries are just starting to make flowerheads and we will soon be gathering them ourselves. WVMJ

That sounds interesting as well! I might try it next :) I love your website and your story btw! Hopefully I'll be able to move to the countryside at some point too hehe!

Back