Damn heartburn

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billyPre

Junior
Reaction score
Finished bottling my first ever wine, Dragons Blood, and it is delicious; so I started a batch of Skeeter Pee. It turns out I cant have more than 2 glasses of Dragons blood without getting heartburn. I can only imagine what the Skeeter Pee will do.

So I am looking for a similar quick wine that I can enjoy this summer without the lemon. Also, I have a good friend that is allergic to citrus so I was hoping to find something we both can drink.

How important is the lemon juice?

If I find a good recipe that uses an acid blend would it be fine for my friend with a citrus allergy to drink it?

Been considering "Tropical Blend" but not sure if i can handle all that pineapple.

Any recommendations for a good blackberry, raspberry or other that is quick and delicious?

Dave has a recipe for a DB Tart, I believe, that his wife drinks, that is made without the lemon juice.

What about the wild berry apple wine? http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3510. No lemon juice and no pineapple. I have a gallon of this wine aging since January but I don't think that made with the published recipe it will give you the gravity suggested - which may or may not be what you are looking for. Me? I tripled the berries and added some honey to increase both the intensity of the berry flavors and increase the ABV.

Dave has a recipe for a DB Tart, I believe, that his wife drinks, that is made without the lemon juice.

I found what I believe you were talking about, Dave calls it Dragonette. It seems to be a little more work at the end but may be just what I am looking for. Thank you.

What about the wild berry apple wine? http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3510. No lemon juice and no pineapple. I have a gallon of this wine aging since January but I don't think that made with the published recipe it will give you the gravity suggested - which may or may not be what you are looking for. Me? I tripled the berries and added some honey to increase both the intensity of the berry flavors and increase the ABV.

This does look amazing. I am not a fan of making a cider, right now, but with the added berries this may end up as something completely different. I can imagine this would be a good drink for the fall. Thank you

I am so excited to have finally gotten into making wine!! I still have so much to learn, including patience, I cannot wait for whats next.

BillyPre, The DRAGONETTE was what I was referring to without the lemon juice. Sorry for the wrong name.

Generic Zantac works wonders also. Just use the 75 mg pills. If they don't work move up to the 150 mg. Takes about 1/2 hour to kick in, no prescription necessary, but I'd let your Doctor know if you take more than a few a week. Especially if you are on other medications.

Thanks guys. I did end up getting some Zantac, recommended by a friend of mine, although i am reluctant to use it. I am almost 40 yo and currently don't take anything stronger than an aspirin. Its a point of pride, I am reluctant to begin taking pills. Not to mention taking medication strictly to help support my drinking habit.:ib

Its not that big of a deal as I am sure my pill poppin days are just down the road. For now I just want something less acidic.

The Dragonette seems like a good alternative, although Dave says it lacks body. I may try the Dragonette recipe with added raisins and bananas because I hear they add body.

I have found the only time I need to take a Zantac is when I had 1) cheese or dairy for dinner (lactose intolerant) or 2) finished my glass of wine just before brushing my teeth and going to bed. If I stop drinking either beer or wine one to two hours before bed, I don't need the Zantac.

I agree, the less pills the better. And watch taking those aspirin if you normally have several drinks a day, not good for the 'ol liver.

Some of the off-dry whites wines might cause less heartburn. In the summer we like the WV German Muller-Thurgau if you like a little fruitiness. I usually don't but this one surprised me and we've made it multiple times.

steve

Back