WineXpert Eclipse Sonoma Dry Creek Valley Chardonnay

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm thinking of making this kit, but have never had an unoaked Chardonnay before. Looking for some tasting notes/opinions please.

I started that kit in Dec 2013 and bottled it in Mar 2014. Followed the directions, except I did use the Sur Lie method for about a month during the process. I'm not a big Chardonnay drinker, but after a year in the bottle it is very good. I only have 15 bottles left. My friends & family, who drink chardonnay say it is very good. I don't think you'll go wrong with this one.

Dave

I did the kit and used 1 oz of med french oak for 3 months. I really like it with the oak. I just transferred off the oak a few weeks ago, due for bottling soon when I get the chance.

Mine is now almost 14 months old. I did a yeast swap and then split into 3G carboys when fined and cleared. I added 1.5 oz of light toast Hungarian oak to one carboy, the other was left naked. The unoaked is very light, crisp with nice notes of pear, apple, peach and goes excellent with lighter fare. The unoaked was very drinkable when bottled at 4 months. The oaked carboy was very different, very harsh still at bottling and at first it was like darn this didn't work well, but all it took was more time in the bottle. At 9 months it had smoothed out nicely and by 12 months was a very very nice wine. The oak added another layer of complexity and while not heavy compared to a buttery Chard is definitely more in your face and able to stand up to heartier fare (like salmon etc.) They are both excellent wines and now we open one or the other strictly with what it is being paired with for dinner etc.

I'm not sure on this one yet

Bottled this about 4 months ago. I added 1.2lbs of sugar during fermentation to boost the alchohol 1%. Tried it last night and it was a little strong for a chardonnay, flavor I mean not alcohol. It's still very dry, it's not a sweet flavor, more like a little more bitter than expected. Could the boost have impacted the flavor or is it just too early to be opening this?

steve

What did the ABV end up at? Did you add any Sorbate? Alcohol can effect the overall flavor for sure. May need some more time to settle down and soften a bit more. I would make this kit again but probably wouldn't if I had to pay the new MAP pricing for it.

I'm having the same issues with this same kit. According to kit instructions, mine was to be clear last night. You're a few months ahead of me ... Did you leave it in carboy (no racking) until it cleared? Not sure why I'm so paranoid about leaving it more than 8 days on the fine lees ... But I am.

it will be OK on the fine lees. if you have a carboy with the ribs, give it a few sharp twist for a few days to get the sediment that collects in the side ridges to fall to the bottom

cheers

I'm having the same issues with this same kit. According to kit instructions, mine was to be clear last night. You're a few months ahead of me ... Did you leave it in carboy (no racking) until it cleared? Not sure why I'm so paranoid about leaving it more than 8 days on the fine lees ... But I am.
Yes. I wasted an extra week re-dosing and stirring. Like Mike said, just wait it out, it will clear. I ended up getting it to bottle in about ten weeks. It is already very good, and I will make it again. I just will have to have more patience next time.

Two questions come to mind when a wine is slow to clear: Did I drive off enough CO2? What is the temperature in the carboy?

I didn't see an answer to either of these questions. So maybe we need to drive off some more CO2, and make sure the carboy is about 70* F.

Two questions come to mind when a wine is slow to clear: Did I drive off enough CO2? What is the temperature in the carboy?

I didn't see an answer to either of these questions. So maybe we need to drive off some more CO2, and make sure the carboy is about 70* F.
In my case, I use a drill mounted stirring device plus vacuum to get rid of all the C02, to the point that the wine is sucking the water out of the airlock in a couple of days. My wine stays on a brewbelt until it finishes clearing.

Finally started mine up since the basement is holding in the mid 60's. Used D47 yeast, SG 1.097 (adj) @ 70*F. Following kit directions to the "T" other than I did rehydrate the yeast in warm water. No Go-Ferm or Fermaid O, let's see if she goes dry. Should hit 14% ABV if it does go dry.

Edit: Fermentation going in earnest by 6 am (10 1/2 hours). Guess that will teach me to use hydration nutrients in musts that will end up under the suggested max ABV tolerance of the yeast I'm using.

Last edited:
My Chardonnay is now +7 days late on schedule for racking and clarification (step 4). It's getting clearer ... Will probably wait until at least Wednesday or maybe even til next weekend to rack to new carboy. Temp is 74*F (and pretty much has been since pitching yeast).

Back