Temperature Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Good day all still very very new to wine making only on my second kit a black cherry Pinot. The instructions advised that the temp should be between 70-72 degrees for fermentation. However it's going strong and I am at about 66-68 degrees do I need to warm it up or is it good to go as is ?

Yes your fermentation is fine. Wine fermentation can be between 65-75 generally. You won't know the difference.

Temperature should be fine for what you are doing.

However, temperature becomes much more important when working with white wines and meads where cool fermentation can be extremely important for persevering the aromatics. And, it can also be crucially important when you need warmer temperatures to extract from grape skins for red wines. In addition, being in the wrong temperature range can make for angry yeast which makes for angry tasting wine. So, you generally want to make sure your fermentation temperature is in the correct range for the yeast you are using.

Back