Hydrometers I have broken

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom_S

Reaction score
You're not a real wine maker until you've broken your hydrometer. My first was my favorite, a nice triple scale hydrometer with different colored scales which made it easy to read. I had cleaned it and dried it off and dropped it into the plastic tube it came in, when it broke through the bottom end and smashed on the tile floor of the kitchen. The second one I broke when washing it, it was all soapy and slipped out of my hands and hit the bottom of the sink.

What are some interesting ways you've destroyed your most important wine making tool?

You're not a real wine maker until you've broken your hydrometer. My first was my favorite, a nice triple scale hydrometer with different colored scales which made it easy to read. I had cleaned it and dried it off and dropped it into the plastic tube it came in, when it broke through the bottom end and smashed on the tile floor of the kitchen. The second one I broke when washing it, it was all soapy and slipped out of my hands and hit the bottom of the sink.

What are some interesting ways you've destroyed your most important wine making tool?

It appears you shouldn't wash your own hydrometer, let someone else do it.

Living in Costa Rica and have all my winemaking supplies shipped in from the U.S., I keep 2 or 3 available as backup.

I certainly have broken my share.

Once, went to slip a hydrometer into the front pocket of my winery apron. missed the pocket, dropped the hydrometer.

I also once slipped it into my back pocket, forgot I had it in there and sat on it! Ouch!

Agree with Wiz. It is bad jou-jou to speak of such things. :)

Heh I believe that slipping a hydrometer into your clothing is just about as good of an idea as slipping a loaded into your waste band.

That being said, I broke one in a box onetime, but I blame my brother for that since it was stored under his bed.

I've broken at least 2 over the years. I don't recall the exact specifics, but the "into the storage tube and out the bottom" sounds very familiar.

The other thing that I should never buy, but can't help myself is the glass airlocks. There is something so sanitary about glass. But they cost 3X the price, and are about 1/10th as durable. Broken at least 2 of those too.

Oh yeah, and one carboy.

Maybe I'd better just stick to plastic.

I seem to break my fine hydrometer every year. You know the one that goes from 5 Brix to Negative 5 Brix with the really thin neck? Damn thing breaks every year. I think I am on #4

Why can't they be made out of plastic or a stronger glass?

I've only broken two but I've not yet had this hobby four years - will be four years come January. Since breaking the second one now I too also keep an extra on hand.

Don't you know, we don't talk about such things on this forum.

Hey, at least the thread isn't titled "Carboys I Have Broken".
smilie.gif

Why can't they be made out of plastic or a stronger glass?

I've only broken two but I've not yet had this hobby four years - will be four years come January. Since breaking the second one now I too also keep an extra on hand.

I saw one in a magazine the other day made of clear plastic or polycarbonate.

I saw one in a magazine the other day made of clear plastic or polycarbonate.

If you see it again and there is a link that can be posted, please do so. I would love to not always have the or four on hand. For me, they seem to go along fine for a fairly long time, then break in bunches. And I am over due.

Speaking of "carboys I have broken" is there a club I now belong to? 5 gal of ready to bottle Pinot Grigio is now all over the floor when I dropped another small but empty glass carboy on top of it. Yummy wonderful ready to drink PG. Luckily no injuries at all. I hang onto that. No injuries. It could have been so much worse.

Pam in cinti

Speaking of "carboys I have broken" is there a club I now belong to? 5 gal of ready to bottle Pinot Grigio is now all over the floor when I dropped another small but empty glass carboy on top of it. Yummy wonderful ready to drink PG. Luckily no injuries at all. I hang onto that. No injuries. It could have been so much worse.

Pam in cinti

Oh no! I hope I don't join that club, ever. A small moment of silence was held at my house for your loss. Glad no injuries were sustained, besides the heart break.

Back