Skeeter Pee Headache?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorCal

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm two for two drinking a few glasses of SP and having a headache. Perhaps a coincidence, but maybe I'm sensitive to the sugar? I can easily drink the same amount of red/white wine with no problem. Love the refreshing taste, but not the resulting headache. Anyone else found the same?

I had the same problem when it was young. I would get really hot too. After a month or so in the bottle I didn't have anymore bad effects

Hmmm interesting. I'm now 3 for 3 on headaches, so I know there is something to it. I like the taste and have been giving it away at a fast clip. I'll hold on to some bottles until the end of the summer and see if there is any improvement. ImageUploadedByWine Making1404494882.761030.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Is it possible that SP produces more congeners than other wines you make or more fusel oils, perhaps because of the temperatures at which it is made?

I actually had this same problem with my first kit wine. WE strawberry white merlot. When it was young I would get hot flashes and a headache after having a glass or two. It is about 6 months old now and delicious. I am amazed at how much time has improved this wine. Especially considering it is a mist style wine, And the directions state it is ready to drink right away.

Next summer. That's seems extreme to me. But my oldest wine is 6 months. So I can't say too much. If I wasn't new at this hobby I would have wines aged longer. My first two kits are both down to 1 bottle each. My wine rack that is supposed to hold 126 bottles is finally overfilled. I have 5 bottles double stacked on the top and another case in a box. Uh oh. More in carboys too. Looks like a new rack is in my future.

Next summer. That's seems extreme to me. But my oldest wine is 6 months. So I can't say too much. If I wasn't new at this hobby I would have wines aged longer. My first two kits are both down to 1 bottle each. My wine rack that is supposed to hold 126 bottles is finally overfilled. I have 5 bottles double stacked on the top and another case in a box. Uh oh. More in carboys too. Looks like a new rack is in my future.

I know the feeling - thats why I went to synthetic corks so i can start stacking cases upon themselves.

Headaches and hot flashes are often attributed to sulfites. Usually kit wines are much lower than commercial wines... but DB could wind up sky high I suppose.

Any chance you got the alcohol hgher than you are used to?? Mite try just a couple of glasses instead of a few. Slow down a little when drinking it, the stuff goes down so smooth it is a little hard to keep track of how much has been chugged down. As a beer drinker, I have been here too. Arne.

Convinced. The remainder will be stored until next summer. Thank you for the the responses.

Skeeter Pee is not a Mist based on Red wine etc. It's almost a flavored Kilju. I think you waste your time to age it. I wouldn't blame the Skeeter. A year for Skeeter? Yikes! It's a waste.

You could be reacting to the sulphide so maybe aerate it plenty before drinking or folow the other advise offered to just take it easy.

Or take an aspirin with every glass lol.
Maybe you have an allergy to lemon or something - very probably you will adjust , maybe just go slower like they said.

lovely labels...

The headaches are not from too much alcohol or any changes of life. I had not thought of it being related to sulfides. I'm getting a vinemetric 300, so I'll measure the SO2 when I get it. I'm not sure why letting the SP sit in the bottle for a year is a waste? Maybe I'll just start another batch and really cut back on the SO2.

I just checked my notes and I added 1/2 tsp of SO2 for the 5 gallon batch, per the instructions. Normal wine processes I've seen are to add 1/4 tsp. maybe there is something to it?

Last edited:
For what it is worth, I never add extra k-Meta to skeeter pee or Dragon's blood before bottling and I always add it to wines I intend to age. Why? I figure it will be consumed before oxidation wil be a problem with the skeeter pee, dragons blood, there is no sense in aging that stuff. I bottle it, have people drinking it days later. It is what it is and really doesn't benefit from increased aging.

The headaches are not from too much alcohol or any changes of life. I had not thought of it being related to sulfides. I'm getting a vinemetric 300, so I'll measure the SO2 when I get it. I'm not sure why letting the SP sit in the bottle for a year is a waste? Maybe I'll just start another batch and really cut back on the SO2.

I just checked my notes and I added 1/2 tsp of SO2 for the 5 gallon batch, per the instructions. Normal wine processes I've seen are to add 1/4 tsp. maybe there is something to it?

It's a waste because it is self-denial for not reason. Kilju doesn't age very much very unlikely SP does either. Feeling guilty and wanting to punish yourself? lol.

AHA - twice as much sulphides there you go- try really aereating it before drinking - pouring glass to glass - air dissipates sulphides, , some of my wines I think had to much sulphide because after a day or two opened (and stoppered) in the fridge suddenly they were really mellow.

I think you found the reason. Sulphide is very powerful 1/4 a tsp for 6 gallons is a little for a lot of volume is twice as much is likely to affect.... ?

It's a waste because it is self-denial for not reason. Kilju doesn't age very much very unlikely SP does either. Feeling guilty and wanting to punish yourself? lol.

Not sure your angle. Two posters have said that after they aged it this effect goes away. I see SP as a summer drink, so not sure your problem with having it sit until next summer. No big self denial or being wasteful, just trying to salvage something I put time into.

Maybe you aged it in the primary too long and got some Autolyzed Yeast Extract (MSG).

This may give a clue. The bottles were washed with OneStep prior to bottling and dried on the bottle rack. Super foamy when shaken. Note I had friends drink the half of the bottle, they all liked it. I had a half glass and felt the headache coming.

http://youtu.be/saYxcTWPZEk

Back