Sulphur smell on first day of fermentation?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

texaswine

Junior
Reaction score
I am making my first batch of wine to test it out. It's one gallon of peach wine I used a peach puree can I got from a local home brew store and used the following ingredients.

49 ozPeach Fruit Puree
1 1/2 tsp Acid Blend
1 tsp Yeast Nutrient
1 tsp Pectic Enzyme
1/4 tspGrape Tannin
1 tsp red star montrachet yeast
Adjusted acid to .525% or or 5.2 ppt I think?
Sp to 1.090

I pitched the yeast 24 hours after adding everything else. I dont know if you need all this info just thought I woukd add it. Anyway after the first 24 hours of fermentation there is a strong sulfur smell coming from the fermentation bucket. I realize some will be made from the fermentation process, I just want to make sure I'm doing ok. I dont want to figure out I screwed this up a long way down the road.

If you have a second bucket about the same size just splash it back end forth between the two buckets a few times. The smell will usually go away.

I don't have an extra bucket. I have a few glass Carboys. Can I rack it back and forth?

Is it normal to have this strong of a smell after the first day of fermentation? You can smell it from a few feet away.

Is it normal to have this strong of a smell after the first day of fermentation? You can smell it from a few feet away.

Montrachet is probably the worst yeast for generating the sulphur smell. You can rack it back and forth from the carboys, you just need a lot of splashing, that is why two buckets work best, you can just pour from to the other.

First day?!!!! I don't think H2S (rotten egg smell) can form that quickly.

Are you sure what you are smelling is nothing more than the smell of wine fermenting? It can smell pretty strong, depending on the yeast you pitched.

A good fermentation will smell up the whole room!

Thats why I was wondering. I have never smelled it so strong after one day. It will smell up a room for sure.

texaswine said:
Thats why I was wondering. I have never smelled it so strong after one day. It will smell up a room for sure.

Peach wine has a unique smell, could be that. Give your wine a good stir or splash rack like others have suggested.

Back