Sometimes dried fruit are conserved with sulphite.
I had raisins treated with sulphites and apricots treated with sulphite.
I wrote an entry on how to treat raisins in my web-log:
Basically the treatment is as follows (and I would follow this procedure for most dried fruit).
- Sprinkle and soak it in boiling water for about 10 minutes
- Rinse it for about 10 minutes in cold water
This way you would get rid of the sulphites.
Next soak them in cold water for 24 hours.
Then the have swollen with water and you are easily able to chop them up.