What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grilled green beans with onion, seasoned with S&P and marjoram. Grilled corn-off-the-cob sauteed with garlic, tomatoes, and basil. (I kinda cooked the tomato too long, and it was almost tomato sauce. :( ) Leftover roasted beet salad (macerated shallots, vinegar, EVOO). And lamb rib/shoulder chop (dry-brined, served with coriander).

IMG_0885.JPG

We seem to be in a RibEye rut on Saturday nights, I guess the protein choices could be worse. We shopped a local farmer's market for some tomatoes and garlic and ended up chatting with a Hippy Stylized girl with a Cocao business in Sedona. After answering a few questions about where we were in our "Cocao Journey" pronounced Ka-Kow by the girl (I've always thought it was simply Co-Co) we bought a bag of Cocao Nibs on her suggestion that equal parts Cocao, Peppercorns and Coffee beans make an outstanding steak dryrub. Sounded outstanding. Well somethings sound better than they taste. It didn't really bring anything positive or negative to the steak other than a really dark crust. I'm thinking a frozen yogurt with Cocoa Nibs might be in my future. The Ciabatta actually stole the show, roasted elephant garlic in butter spooned over slices and broiled.RibeyeSat.jpg

We enjoyed grilled baby eggplants with herbes de Provence; potatoes roasted on the grill then quartered and crisped in lamb fat in a cast-iron pan; gazpacho from Mrs. S_G with CSA tomatoes, peppers, etc.; Mexican carrot and red cabbage slaw from Mr. S_G; and finally, lamb ribs yet again with basil, garlic, and EVOO. All washed down with our LAST bottle of CC Showcase Amarone (~5.5 years old). Honestly, it felt like it was past its prime. All is good!IMG_0887.JPGIMG_0892.JPG

We enjoyed grilled baby eggplants with herbes de Provence; potatoes roasted on the grill then quartered and crisped in lamb fat in a cast-iron pan; gazpacho from Mrs. S_G with CSA tomatoes, peppers, etc.; Mexican carrot and red cabbage slaw from Mr. S_G; and finally, lamb ribs yet again with basil, garlic, and EVOO. All washed down with our LAST bottle of CC Showcase Amarone (~5.5 years old). Honestly, it felt like it was past its prime. All is good!View attachment 65119View attachment 65120
Gazpacho!!! :HB I love it! I've made several batches with ingredients from the garden this year. More to come, I'm sure!

Oversharing on pix again tonight!

We had a small reason to celebrate in the Grapes household this evening, so this is what we dished up. I had a NY Strip steak in the freezer that was 1.4" thick. Decided that could stand up to one of the WTSO shipments of Brunello that I have been meaning to try, so opened that up to decant. After dry-brining the steak, I commenced grilling. We enjoyed grilled yellow squash (w/ fresh oregano from my neighbor's yard and EVOO); sauteed/braised collard greens; leftover roasted potato wedges from the other night (roasted in lamb fat with garlic and basil), reheated on the grill; leftover carrot/cabbage slaw described earlier; the grilled steak, complemented with a compound butter of basil, sauteed garlic, and lemon. The Brunello was a fine pairing; it more than held its own, but was not overpoweringly tannic.

I overdid the steak just a tetch. Not in a Varis way: it was rosy, but not bordering on the red I was looking for. Quel dommage. I don't have much practice on steaks that thick!

IMG_0894.JPGIMG_0896.JPGIMG_0898.JPGIMG_0900.JPGIMG_0906.JPG

I am more of a Costco Prime guy.......

View attachment 65159
I've done the SRF briskets a couple of times. Personally, I don't think it's worth the extra $$ compared to a good prime brisket, which is usually less than half the price, like the one in your pic above...........

I've been hitting the easy button the last few nights. Turkey fajitas last night, pulled pork fried rice tonight. Between running kids to work and working around my wife's study schedule, I've given up on the big dinner.

Actually have more time to do more important activities, like drinking!

8-26-20_fajitas.jpg

8-27-20_fried-lice.jpg

Back