Register Now!

Pick a Wine Kit & Win a Wine Kit Giveaway

Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > Other Topics > General Chit-Chat > What's new in your cellar?

Old 03-27-2017, 01:20 PM   #61
CabSauv
Exp Drinker/Junior Brewer

Mar 2017
Liked 19 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnd View Post
Just checked it out, looks like a winner for sure!!! 100% cab aged 36 months in new French oak. I'd be very interested to hear what you think about it.......
I am quite excited myself, I will definitely let you know!

Johnd Likes This 
Old 03-28-2017, 06:07 AM   #62
brewbush

Jun 2014
Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnd View Post
Nice Mike, I'm going to look into hooking up with them. That's a really impressive history of cabs going back a long time.

Just got my Hall allocation, switched all of the offerings to get 6 bottles of the Jack's. I'm pretty sure that it has since sold out.
We also have been members (among a few other clubs) , this is our 3rd year. I stuck with the Ellies and Diamond Mnt. Too bad Jack's is indeed out of stock, my Halls have their own 2 shelves in the basement!

Old 03-28-2017, 06:10 AM   #63
Johnd
Middle Aged Member

Jun 2015
Liked 1492 Times on 858 Posts
Likes Given: 921

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewbush View Post
We also have been members (among a few other clubs) , this is our 3rd year. I stuck with the Ellies and Diamond Mnt. Too bad Jack's is indeed out of stock, my Halls have their own 2 shelves in the basement!
Ahhh, two very solid choices as well, I particularly like the diamond mountain. I also have amassed a fair sized collection of Halls, guess we'd better get to work on it!

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other - Oscar Ameringer

Old 03-28-2017, 10:02 PM   #64
Johny99

Sep 2010
Liked 224 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibglowin View Post
Ste. Michelle Wine Estates who owns Columbia Crest, Chateau St. Michelle and about a dozen other wineries in WA State. Resistance is futile I guess.
Just a note, big industry is what it is, but the folks at San Michelle have done great things for Washington wine and should be appreciated, IMHO, for that.

That said, the Quilceda Creek is a sweet addition to the cellar

Old Yesterday, 07:13 AM   #65
ibglowin
WMT_MODERATOR.png

Jul 2009
Liked 3595 Times on 2045 Posts
Likes Given: 1131

I am against WA Wine being bought up by the "Budweiser" of the wine industry". No beer ever got better after being bought up by a large beer corporation and I believe the same thing holds true in the wine industry.

Then there is the fact that Ste. Michelle Wine Estates is owned by Altria Group, Inc. which is a rebranded name of Phillip Morris Inc. the tobacco and cigarette giant.

I am very happy that 95% of my wines come from small family owned businesses.

"When you buy from a small business you are not helping a CEO buy a third vacation home. You are helping a little girl get dance lessons, a little boy get his team jersey, a mom or dad put food on the table, a family pay a mortgage, or a student pay for college"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johny99 View Post
Just a note, big industry is what it is, but the folks at San Michelle have done great things for Washington wine and should be appreciated, IMHO, for that.

That said, the Quilceda Creek is a sweet addition to the cellar

Disclaimer:
The opinions expressed in this forum are strictly my own,
and should not be construed as the opinion or policy
of WineMakingTalk.com or its owners

"Killing grapes one cluster at a time since 2009" - Visit the Château!

People Like This 
Old Yesterday, 09:26 AM   #66
Johnd
Middle Aged Member

Jun 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibglowin View Post
I am against WA Wine being bought up by the "Budweiser" of the wine industry". No beer ever got better after being bought up by a large beer corporation and I believe the same thing holds true in the wine industry.

Then there is the fact that Ste. Michelle Wine Estates is owned by Altria Group, Inc. which is a rebranded name of Phillip Morris Inc. the tobacco and cigarette giant.

I am very happy that 95% of my wines come from small family owned businesses.

"When you buy from a small business you are not helping a CEO buy a third vacation home. You are helping a little girl get dance lessons, a little boy get his team jersey, a mom or dad put food on the table, a family pay a mortgage, or a student pay for college"
I agree with that sentiment as well. I still buy great wines from the "bigger" guys, but gravitate to the small production mom and pops. Same reason that I go to the local hardware and grocery stores as opposed to the giants...........

It's nice when you call up the winery that produces a few hundred cases of a few different wines (great wines, of course), they know you, remember when you visited with your wife, it just feels better to buy and drink their labors of love.

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other - Oscar Ameringer

Old Yesterday, 10:22 AM   #67
dcbrown73
Clueless Winemaker

Mar 2016
Liked 549 Times on 325 Posts
Likes Given: 665

I try all kinds of wines from a myriad of different winemakers. I used to hardly ever buy wines more than once unless it was a truly special wine.

Given my lack of time lately, I've found myself buying known wines more often. So when I do that. I buy what I know is good and that I really enjoy no matter who the maker is.

Great wine at a really good value is always a buy for me.

Johnd Likes This 
Old Yesterday, 10:31 AM   #68
ibglowin
WMT_MODERATOR.png

Jul 2009
Liked 3595 Times on 2045 Posts
Likes Given: 1131

I guess I like an individual wine not only from a taste perspective but I also want one that I can connect with on a personal level. That to me is what makes wine different from other beverages!

Disclaimer:
The opinions expressed in this forum are strictly my own,
and should not be construed as the opinion or policy
of WineMakingTalk.com or its owners

"Killing grapes one cluster at a time since 2009" - Visit the Château!

Old Yesterday, 07:15 PM   #69
Johnd
Middle Aged Member

Jun 2015

Decided to stop by my local wine merchant on the way home, have become friends with the proprietor since it's "on my way home". He was rearranging and restocking, lots of new arrivals were showing up. He told me he'd found a few stray bottles that I might be interested in, at a discount. Don't drop the D word on me when wine is involved. Long story short, came home with two bottles of 2014 Caymus (his last), a 2008 and three 2009 Terlato Episode wines. Pretty good haul. Never had the Episode, anyone tried it?
IMG_0805.jpg  

People Like This