Register Now!

Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > Wine Making > Barrels & Oaking > Where to buy used barrel?

Old 01-09-2017, 10:34 AM   #1
zadvocate

Aug 2015
Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I was thinking about buying a small used neutral wine barrel for home use. I would just add stix/chips etc... for the flavor and have the barrel for the micro oxidation purposes.

Anyone have any reputable dealers? I have seen many for sale on the net.

Old 01-09-2017, 10:41 AM   #2
Johnd
Middle Aged Member

Jun 2015
Liked 1810 Times on 1021 Posts
Likes Given: 1184

Quote:
Originally Posted by zadvocate View Post
I was thinking about buying a small used neutral wine barrel for home use. I would just add stix/chips etc... for the flavor and have the barrel for the micro oxidation purposes.

Anyone have any reputable dealers? I have seen many for sale on the net.
I bought a couple of used barrels from North American Barrel, one was a gift to use as decoration, the other I converted into a trash can in my wine room. They were both used whiskey barrels and smelled awesome.

Personally, I'd be too concerned about buying a neutral, empty, wine barrel because of the potential for bacterial infection and the difficulty in removing bacteria from an empty, used wine barrel. Long sulfite/citric acid soaks, burning sulfur in them are methods that are supposed to work, but I'm too chicken to risk a batch of wine when I can buy a new 6 gallon barrel for $175 and use it for 5+ years............

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other - Oscar Ameringer

Old 01-09-2017, 12:33 PM   #3
marino

Jun 2014
Liked 25 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Second johns chicken sentiment. And new barrels smell great. Being in charge of how they develop the wine is great too

Old 01-09-2017, 01:16 PM   #4
zadvocate

Aug 2015

Thanks and where do you get the 6 gallon new ones from?

Old 01-09-2017, 01:30 PM   #5
Johnd
Middle Aged Member

Jun 2015
Liked 1810 Times on 1021 Posts
Likes Given: 1184

I get mine from Vadai, just call and talk to Ruthie, very nice lady. My post was off a bit, the barrels have gone up a tad since I last ordered, but still, $188 for the 23L, not bad at all..........

http://www.vadaiwinebarrels.com/toasted-barrels.html

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other - Oscar Ameringer

Old 01-10-2017, 07:11 AM   #6
grapeman
Administrator
WMT_ADMIN.png

Nov 2005
Liked 1099 Times on 734 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Another possibility for you would be to use a FlexTank (brand) of a special plastic tank made just for wine. While it imparts no oak it provides the same micro-oxygenation as a barrel. You just use staves in it to provide the oak. They make smaller ones than they used to but I think the smallest are 15 gallons so may be too large for you. The website lists the Tankenstein for beer but others have bought ones for wine. The small wood barrels aren't that expensive as John states.

Experience a Taste of the Champlain Valley.

NorCal Likes This 
Old 01-10-2017, 08:56 AM   #7
NorCal

Apr 2014
Liked 988 Times on 501 Posts
Likes Given: 285

The idea of a small barrel is usually better than it's practicality. I'm sure there are some that are successful with them, but I'd venture to say most are not.

Every one that I've seen lacks in tight construction and impart oak so fast that you are left with maintenance issues with an empty barrel and did not get the micro-ox and flavor concentration that you were hoping for.

Until I was doing 60 gallons at a time, I would stick to carboys or as @grapeman said, a flex. I have a barrel, flex and carboys. Note: I've never owned a small barrel (unless you consider 30 gallons small), just my experience with those that I talked to that have.

Old 01-10-2017, 09:38 AM   #8
StevenD55

Nov 2015
Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 23

What Norcal said may be true.

However, I bought one off Amazon that has worked well. I've had it for full for about 9 months (second batch in there now). I first filled it on April 15 of last year come to think of it. The only leaking I had was due to accidentally hitting the petcock and valve dripped a little. I do think they look cool as conversation pieces though.

My only complaint is that the bung is too small to really add more oak after it is spent. Anything added will likely never come out unless I enlarge it.

https://www.amazon.com/American-Barr...on+wine+barrel

Old 01-10-2017, 09:57 AM   #9
dcbrown73
Clueless Winemaker

Mar 2016
Liked 588 Times on 341 Posts
Likes Given: 702

I was wondering about the smaller barrels. I'm not in position to have one, but I thought the main thing about barrels was the micro-oxygenation (as you can use other ways to impart oak), but I always read that you really need a very large barrel to get proper micro-oxygenation.

Also, the smaller the barrel the more oak is in contact with less wine. That would risk over-oaking if you left it in long term in attempt to get micro-oxygenation?

So why get a barrel if you do not get proper micro-oxygenation and you can use oak chips/cubes/etc to get the oak?

Old 01-10-2017, 10:06 AM   #10
zadvocate

Aug 2015

I was thinking more for next season. Thanks for the input I may look into a flex tank.