Register Now!

Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > WineMakingTalk.com Forums > Introductions > Newbie learning the ropes

Old 12-15-2016, 07:43 PM   #1
claywine12204

Dec 2016

Hey guys! So I'm new to this wine making thing and found this great forum. So far I've bought some equipment and looking for a detailed write up from start to finish. I've been browsing this forum, but can't seem to find one that goes from step one to the very end. Any recommendations?

This is the kit I've bought so I might be missing a few things:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ned

Old 12-15-2016, 09:47 PM   #2
Johny99

Sep 2010
Liked 391 Times on 249 Posts
Likes Given: 891

Welcome Ned. Looks like a decent basic kit. First thing you need to do is decide what you are going to make, from grapes, fruit or a kit. You can then source recipes here, on the web or from books. I'd suggest getting an idea of what the process is before you start. Morewinemaking.com has a good primer on making reds or whites from grapes. Lots of books and such for how to also. Of course a kit comes with instructions��

Old 12-16-2016, 05:46 AM   #3
claywine12204

Dec 2016

I would like to make a berry wine first, maybe raspberry. I've seen the recipes, but I'm looking for a video or instructions of the process. I have an idea, but it would be nice to see the process in action for the first time.

Old 12-16-2016, 06:45 AM   #4
Stressbaby
Just a Member

Aug 2012
Liked 401 Times on 298 Posts
Likes Given: 205

Jack Keller has the basic steps outlined on his website, maybe that is what you are looking for.

Old 12-16-2016, 07:25 AM   #5
Arne

Jun 2010
Liked 760 Times on 615 Posts
Likes Given: 282

Hi Ned, Welcome to the forum. Maybe try a Dragon blood. There are pretty good instructions on this site how to make it, uses store bought berries and doesn't cost very much. Also is done fairly quick so you don't have to wait quite as long for the drinking part. Nice thing is the low cost for a first go around, if it gets messed up not out much. Arne.

Old 12-16-2016, 07:58 AM   #6
bkisel

Jun 2013
Liked 1151 Times on 740 Posts
Likes Given: 1152

Welcome to the forum! I'll second Dragon's Blood as mentioned above or a mid-range kit - 10-16L. Plenty of YT videos that will walk you through the steps.

"I hate quotations. Tell me what you know." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 12-19-2016, 08:00 PM   #7
claywine12204

Dec 2016

Thanks everyone and the Dragon's Blood right up is exactly what I was looking for. I have a question about two ingredients he listed:
3 tsp. yeast nutrient (stir)
1 tsp. yeast energizer (stir)
So I have something called "Yeast Energizer Diammonium Phosphate (Nutrient Booster)
So is this the yeast nutrient or energizer? I want to make sure I have all the ingredients before I start.

Old 12-22-2016, 08:01 AM   #8
claywine12204

Dec 2016

Ok I found the answer about the difference in energizer and nutrients. One question before I start my first batch tomorrow is when to add the nutrient. Some of the other threads adds the nutrient later in the process, but the dragon blood write up puts it all in at the start?

Old 12-22-2016, 08:28 AM   #9
bkisel

Jun 2013
Liked 1151 Times on 740 Posts
Likes Given: 1152

Quote:
Originally Posted by claywine12204 View Post
Ok I found the answer about the difference in energizer and nutrients. One question before I start my first batch tomorrow is when to add the nutrient. Some of the other threads adds the nutrient later in the process, but the dragon blood write up puts it all in at the start?
I add it all up front except for pitching the yeast ~24 hours later. You definitely can vary from the recipe and still get good results but I'd recommend just following the recipe the first batch or two.

As a side note... I've made a bunch of country/fruit wines, since making my first DB, using the same basic DB recipe. I now always use bentonite in the primary, sometimes use acid blend in place of the lemon juice and sometimes use the lemon juice but half as much. I've learned, for my taste, to use more fruit than what the DB recipe calls for. Back sweetening will often be brown sugar, honey and frozen juice concentrate along with or in place of white sugar.

"I hate quotations. Tell me what you know." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

NorCal Likes This 
Old 12-22-2016, 09:52 AM   #10
NorCal
WMT_MODERATOR.png

Apr 2014
Liked 1137 Times on 557 Posts
Likes Given: 335

Yea, can't go wrong with a batch of DB to kick-off your winemaking career. A word of caution. You are going down a slippery slope. First it's a carboy, then it's two, then you are scowering craigslist for used stuff. It may take a year or two, but you will realize that the best wine is made from fresh fruit and some mechanized equipment and a barrel will allow you to make commercial quality wine. Please proceed with caution!

My Craigslist haul, instant winery for $.25 on the dollar

People Like This