Register Now!

Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > Grape Growing / Vineyard Management / Commercial Winery > Commercial Winery Forum > Congratulations Pennsylvania!

Old 06-08-2016, 06:31 AM   #11
hardworkin

Aug 2014
Liked 27 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I live in an area in PA that many businesses still abide by the blue laws. We are so behind the times. At times I think I see Eddie Haskell drive past my house.

Brian55 Likes This 
Old 06-08-2016, 07:04 AM   #12
ceeaton
In my terrible twos of wine making

Feb 2015
Liked 1606 Times on 987 Posts
Likes Given: 1594

My fingers are crossed. We publish a publication for the State that have among other things the Governor's vetos, had a lot of them lately. Like I said, fingers and toes crossed on this one!

Old 06-08-2016, 07:17 AM   #13
JohnT

Feb 2010
Liked 3759 Times on 2181 Posts
Likes Given: 2843

Would you agree?

Communism = having the only choice of a store owned by the government that has no fear of competition. The state tells you what you can purchase and for how much..

--- please remove this if too political ---

People Like This 
Old 06-08-2016, 07:24 AM   #14
Boatboy24
No longer a newbie, but still clueless.

Mar 2012
Liked 3592 Times on 2211 Posts
Likes Given: 6198

Virginia has Beer/Wine available in grocery stores, convenience stores and gas stations (though I believe there are limits to the hours they can be sold - ie: not after 2am and before 6am or something). We also have state run stores that sell liquor and wine. A lot (maybe all) of the grocery employees here are union, so if union jobs were impacted by letting grocery stores sell beer and wine, they were probably just moved to grocery chains. Overall, I wouldn't see a net loss here for anyone other than potentially in state wineries who now have other states shipping wine into VA. But the VA wine industry seems to be doing very well, so I don't think that was an issue.

The fat lady hasn't even entered the stadium for PA on this one, but I hope she's singing soon.

BROAD RUN CELLARS

Old 06-08-2016, 10:07 AM   #15
ibglowin

Jul 2009
Liked 3583 Times on 2042 Posts
Likes Given: 1130

Let just keep the focus here on changing an archaic wine law that needs to go and not start talking about politics in general and we should be fine.

WA State amended their law several years ago and closed down the State run liquor stores and the sky didn't fall nor did DUI go out of control with more options. WA State had a couple of things going for them that unfortunately PA doesn't and that is a HUGE rapidly expanding Wine Industry as well as being the Corporate headquarters for a small business named Costco. You could already buy beer and wine in Costco and Grocery stores you just couldn't purchase liquor in a Costco or Safeway etc and now you can.

I want the fine people of PA to have unlimited options when it comes to wine and I want them to be able to join a wine club from an out of State winery and have it sent to them like the rest of the USA can do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
Would you agree?

Communism = having the only choice of a store owned by the government that has no fear of competition. The state tells you what you can purchase and for how much..

--- please remove this if too political ---

Disclaimer:
The opinions expressed in this forum are strictly my own,
and should not be construed as the opinion or policy
of WineMakingTalk.com or its owners

"Killing grapes one cluster at a time since 2009" - Visit the Château!

People Like This 
Old 06-08-2016, 10:29 AM   #16
jgmann67
Rennaisance Man

Feb 2015
Liked 617 Times on 402 Posts
Likes Given: 54

For the good of the order - the Governor indicated that he will sign the legislation. If done correctly, wine will be available in licensed areas in grocery stores (those that have restaurant licenses and a wine-to-go permit) and at bars and restaurants. Currently, there are about 160 grocery stores with these type of licenses in PA. I anticipate that hundreds (or as many as a thousand) more grocery stores will join in. Consumers may purchase as many as four bottles in a single transaction.

Look for this to really start showing itself just before Thanksgiving.

If wine is life; and, life is about the journey (not the destination); the greatest joy in wine is found along the way.

Old 06-08-2016, 02:51 PM   #17
jswordy
Wonderful WINO

Jan 2012
Liked 2962 Times on 1293 Posts
Likes Given: 3090

Envious. Still waiting for the big liquor lobby money to get out of the way in Tennessee politics. I will be dead by then, I am sure...

I have run business plan numbers three ways to Sunday, but in a state where the only place you can sell your wine is on your own premises, a winery is a retirement money pit for rich folks, or a business tax dodge for rich folks. I ain't rich. Gotta see black numbers, not the red ones...

People Like This 
Old 06-08-2016, 05:05 PM   #18
ibglowin

Jul 2009
Liked 3583 Times on 2042 Posts
Likes Given: 1130

Done!

PA is now the 44th state to allow winery-to-consumer shipping. Gov. Wolf signed HB 1690 today, bringing expanded consumer choice in wine to PA!

The bill is effective in 60 days but gives the state and wineries some time to issue and receive required DTC licenses.

Thanks to all of you who wrote letters and supported the cause! It worked!

Free the Grapes!

Disclaimer:
The opinions expressed in this forum are strictly my own,
and should not be construed as the opinion or policy
of WineMakingTalk.com or its owners

"Killing grapes one cluster at a time since 2009" - Visit the Château!

People Like This 
Old 06-08-2016, 05:14 PM   #19
ceeaton
In my terrible twos of wine making

Feb 2015
Liked 1606 Times on 987 Posts
Likes Given: 1594

I was so happy I just streaked across the back yard. ... Actually said I'd do it and my wife laughed so hard she almost wet her pants.

I am happy I now live in a somewhat normal state (not of mind, of geography).

Yoo hoo!

People Like This 
Old 06-08-2016, 06:21 PM   #20
Julie
Super Moderator

Dec 2009
Liked 1510 Times on 1115 Posts
Likes Given: 2780

I am very glad this has passed, it is a long time coming. The sad part of this, I don't buy any wine!!!!!!!

Here is what I have done!

People Like This