Register Now!

Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > Wine Making > Country Fruit Winemaking > Raspberry Port?

Old 03-16-2013, 02:00 PM   #11
WVMountaineerJack

Sep 2010
Liked 231 Times on 187 Posts
Likes Given: 29

ONe thing on step feeding, its better to let the yeast get down to a much lower level like 1.01 and then raise it just to 1.02, repeat as often as the yeast will eat the sugar. If you dont let it drop enough and add to much sugar at once you can stall the fermentation, better to let it go down little steps.

Some oak wont hurt, a few dried elderberries to boost the color and tannins, even a bottle of black cherry concentrate to backsweeten will add some complexity to your port.

WVMJ

Old 03-18-2013, 07:15 PM   #12
paubin

May 2006
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Deezil, When I mentioned "high proof liqueur", I was referring to the fortifying alcohol. I guess I didn't make it clear in my own ramblings... I would never call a port or a sherry anything but what there are. One of the finest beverages known to man !

Old 02-15-2017, 09:20 PM   #13
enyawgerg

Oct 2012
Likes Given: 4

I made a chocolate rasberry wine that I back sweetened. I added the brandy that was called for. I have it sitting in a fermenter, for a few days jelling together before I bottle. I tasted it tonight and it seems a bit medicine after taste. On the front it is clearly rasberry w/ slight hint of chocolate.

Any suggestions on getting that medicine taste out? Would time cause it to mellow out? Or should I add more sugar/juice?

Old 02-16-2017, 09:37 AM   #14
Scooter68
Fruit Wine Lover (And Part-time PITA)

Aug 2015
Liked 259 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Be sure you are looking at the 3 gallon recipe not the 5 gallon one. And in reality the sugar quantity on the can or any recipe is not applicable for your goal. The staged sugar additions or addition of brandy or spirits later mean you should also consider that in your starting volume. The VH wine bases are excellent for 3 gallons so if you start with 3 gallons and add brandy other spirits in a quantity of say a quart or more, you will actually be diluting your wine and losing flavor.

There are several high alcohol tolerant yeasts out there so using the info gleaned from the previous posts, I would consider the 2 schools of thought provided to you 1) Flavor First or 2) ABV first and then determine your yeast based on that and the attributes of the yeasts available.

I think the flavor first line is a solid one, you can always boost the ABV later but you cannot recover lost flavors.

(Dwight D. Eisenhower)