Do bubbles mean fermenting?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abefroman

Reaction score
Do bubbles mean fermenting?

Or not necessarily if the wine hasn't been degassed.?

depends on what stage you are in.

In the primary you want bubbles.

Aging you dont want bubbles.

Yepper, like Tom says, primary bubbles, when you get to secondary and you have stabalized it, any bubbles are CO2. Unless you get a secondary fermentation. Had it happen, swear I sorbated it, sulfited it, and a month or so later had it take off again. When it finally got done, it made a very fine wine. My 2 cents. Arne.

Like Tom said, yes you do want bubbles in the primary after pitching the yeast or adding the slurry (in the case of Skeeter Pee). This is part of the fermenting process. If you get lots of bubble in the secondary after racking and you are not degassing then it probably wasn't done fermenting.

You should degas before stabilizing and backsweetening. If you don't properly use sorbate, (remember these additives can expire or lose potency with time, so date them) you can end up with your wine yeast starting back up again.

You live and learn in the wine world. I have had a few of my early bottles end up with some bubbles and sediment in the bottles... Not my proudest moment as a wine maker.

Back