Goferm overdose. Help asap

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZinKin

Junior
Reaction score
hey guys and gals. please help me, i havent found anything about this either because it wont hurt the wine in the long run, or no one has made this mistake before ;) but i added more goferm than i needed. probably quite a bit more.

i have a late harvest zin cooking w uv43 and the juice was at about 32.5 brix at the start, it had been natively fermenting in front of the wood stove for a few days before i did the deed.

my second year making wine, a lot more this year than last. it smells and tastes gofermy of course and it concerns me deeply. will it fade out? im considering getting it off skins soon, not aiming for too high of tannins, will a rack and back or two clarify the condition? please help. it has been 3 days with goferm in it.

btw, the taste of this zin juice as i had finally got the fresh fruit in the bucket (5gal) was simply divine. shoulda kept it as is maybe ;)

Goferm is pretty much for making yeast starters normally. Are you using it as a yeast nutrient for the whole batch? How much did you put in and what is the volume of your must? I have seen people say that if they put to much nutrient in there can be a metallic taste, but not sure if Goferm falls into that same catagory. I hope you are keeping a notebook of all your steps, it makes it a lot easier to know what has been done and what not to do or do again next time.

WVMJ

You mean you added it to the must--correct? The problem with adding Go-Ferm to must is that competitive microorganisms use a significant amount of the micronutrient and others would be chelated by polyphenols. As Jack said---Go-Ferm is to be used when rehydrating yeast.

Some of the Go-Ferm would have been inactivated by SO2 but if you're doing a wild ferment, then you probably didn't use any sulfite on the must in the beginning. Not sure of the consequences of the Go-Ferm overdose.

Are you using wild culture on this? Did you adjust that brix before starting the ferment or go with the 35 brix? A brix that high will surely kill the yeast and your residual sugar levels will be quite high.

I agree with the above posts, Go-ferm is used as a hydration nutrient, meaning, when you hydrate your yeast, you add the GO-Ferm to the hydration water first, then add the yeast, this gives the yeast enough nutrients in the hydration water to allow for rapid and efficient reproduction of the yeast population. This would have been optimal for you if you are trying to ferment a must with a brix of 32, that is incredibly high, as Turock mentioned, did you dilute the must at all? Uvaferm 43 is a good yeast to use in this case, however, UvaFerm 43 has a High tolerance to alcohol: up to 16%, 32.5 Brix is in the neighborhood of 18°-19° ABV. It will most likely result in a stuck fermentation, not a bad thing if you like your wine sweet.
As far as the wine tasting like Go-ferm, how much did you add to how much must?

most unfortunately owing to the nature of my mistake, dont know how much i added.

i am making late harvest zin, so high alc and rs is apart of the plan. if i was to make zin port, what other steps do i need to take btw?

it was fermenting right away so i let it, then added uv43 w goferm so it wouldnt starve in the nutrient deficiencies and high acidity of the grapes. want it to get going as long as possible, dont want it to stop because of nutrient problems.

it should fall out right? that gofermy smell/taste? im not getting metallic.

i really feel terrible about this, but like i said, never heard of a mismeasurement or error occurring during adding goferm. i added anyway, and omitted some of what i had ready to add so as to lessen the impact of my error. :( damn

i didnt do it like that, i had a portion that was for 1000 pounds of grapes and without a scale, and guessed how much i needed for 5 gals.

however, it is doing well now.

if anyone has advice for making a zin port please let me know. this batch was virtually raisin free and was around 32-33 brix and very delicious, wouldnt be too raisin-y.

yes, it was. i guess i didnt put too much in after all. thanks for help everyone!

Back