Hey! from Lake Erie wine region-

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigunit224

Junior
Reaction score
Just wanted to drop a line and say hi. I'm currently in between my first and second rack of my first wine kit. A friend and I went in on some Chilean grape juice. It's a syrah and already has the yeast included. Should be a piece of cake right? :b

Let me know what I should watch out for and what to expect. I hope to do a couple more starter wine kits and then eventually move into winemaking from scratch... (long way to go I know). But every journey starts with one step.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Matt.

Hey Matt welcome to the forum. Where bouts are you located? I am assuming you got your juice either from Luva Bellas or Presque Isle. Sounds like you are well on your way. Watch your hydrometer readings and once your fermentation is complete racks off any sediment and sulfite. Are you going to add oak?

Hi Matt,

Welcome to winemakingtalk. Starting with a juice bucket is a nice way to get started in winemaking. This will give you a good understanding on how things work.

As always, any problems ask away, someone on here will definitely help you out.

Hey Matt! Welcome to a great forum. Lots of good people here to help you along the way.

Thanks everyone. I'm actually right down the road from you, Dan and yes, the wine is from Presque Isle Winery. I live in the city of Erie. I'm from Harborcreek and I went to Edinboro University. I bet if we tried hard enough, we would find quite a few people we both know, ha. But growing up miles from the grape fields in North East I've always been interested in winemaking. A buddy of mine has been experimenting for a couple years and so at this point I'm essentially shadowing him until I get a better handle on it. I also have another friend from high school who started his own winery in Harborcreek, ( http://www.6milecellars.com ). It sounds like a good time for me to learn!

Thanks everyone. I'm actually right down the road from you, Dan and yes, the wine is from Presque Isle Winery. I live in the city of Erie. I'm from Harborcreek and I went to Edinboro University. I bet if we tried hard enough, we would find quite a few people we both know, ha. But growing up miles from the grape fields in North East I've always been interested in winemaking. A buddy of mine has been experimenting for a couple years and so at this point I'm essentially shadowing him until I get a better handle on it. I also have another friend from high school who started his own winery in Harborcreek, ( http://www.6milecellars.com ). It sounds like a good time for me to learn!

I've talk to those guys and know a lot of folks that know them. Super nice people. Doesn't that winery open up this month or next? Thats the first of three new ones I know of opening in the area in the next year or so. Did I tell you about this forum when you picked up the juice?

No- the friend that's helping me with my first batch is the one who retrieved the wine from PIwinery. The 6 Mile Cellars winery should be opening here soon. I'll be seeing him within the month and should know more by June.

just finished my second rack. i had roughly 90 seconds between carbonation bubbles on my airlock. it's pretty cool to recognize the taste from beginning to the midway point. you can taste the transformation! anything to look out for at this point? thanks!

Back