Mosti Mondiale Back in the Saddle - New Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hordak

Reaction score
Well I just got back into winemaking in a big way, well big for me. I used to have a u-brew LHBS on Vancouver Island back in the 90's and when we sold it I was able to take a bunch of equipment with me but until this fall never really had the chance or want to do it again. I finally set-up a portion in my basement to get back in the game.
I've been reading the posts here fervently and PMing some of you (especially Joe) I'm really keen on doing these new "fan-dangle" tweaks I read everywhere with fpacs and such. We never experimented much back in the old kit days when BrewKing owned Selection and Vintners Reserve.

So to date I've put on a 23L kit of Amarone from Costco.ca (Argentia Coast) Tweaked it with grape pack, included currants and raisins. It's in the secondary now and fermented super fast which scared me a bit until I read some posts here last night.

Today I put on a Vinefera Noble Carmenere and for the wife a White Zin from Costco as well Here's the tweaks I did and some pics. Thanks to all who have given me input to date and thanks to the rest of you who have responded with knowledge and experience to others on the forum.

10L Vinifera Noble Carmenere kit
2.5lb grape pack
1/2 lb dried cherries and 1/2lb Zane currants
1lb Coronation grapes
1/2lb fresh elderberries and plums.

The dried currants and cherries I rinsed over and over and then brought them to a boil with a bit of water and then threw in some cherry pie filling for fun. According to the instructions they said put in 24hrs after yeast is pitched so I'll put them in tomorrow in a mesh bag.

The grapes and elderberries I sauteed/bolied up like Joe does for his fpacs and used a bit of wine and 500ml of pure Black Cherry juice.

Starting SG was just above 1.10

Costco Argentia Coast White Zin 7L
2lbs Strawberries
1lb green seedless grapes and a handful of coronation grapes.

I slightly boiled them up with a bit of wine and cherry pomegranate juice. Mushed it all up with a mashed potato masher and put them straight in with the kit juice.
Starting SG 1.08

Gonna try and post some pics now.

IMG_20151005_114229.jpg

IMG_20151005_114743.jpg

IMG_20151005_134155.jpg

IMG_20151005_140934.jpg

IMG_20151005_141229.jpg

Welcome

Joe has given me a few ideas over the last while. I usually let my wine sit for 18-24 months so I'm still waiting to pass judgement on some of the stuff I've done. I will say that zesting with white wines has been a huge success and I invite everyone to give it a try. The coffee port ala Joe was also fantastic.
cheers

Latest posts

Back