Mosti Mondiale Sicilian Primitivo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

H2O

Reaction score
Hi All,

I just finished fermenting a Meglioli Sicilian Primitivo. It did not come with any Oak at all.

I just wanted to confirm with anyone who may have made this kit or knows this varietal that Oak is not normally part of Sicilian Primitivo. If it should have come with Oak no biggy, I am currently bulk aging it and can still add.

Thanks!

Harry.

The art of the winemaker is what you need now. They have given you the juice, its up to you to make it your own.

Personally, I like oaky zins, so I'd oak.

I just wanted to confirm with anyone who may have made this kit or knows this varietal that Oak is not normally part of Sicilian Primitivo.

Being that the grape is from Italy, I'd assume French oak, but that's just a guess.

Hi Harry

I didn't make any Meglioli kit yet ,could you tell me where you buy your kits ?
I copied and pasted this from RJ Spagnols site . This is on my wishlist :

Italy Zinfandel - Cellar Classic Winery Series
Wine Specs
VarietalZinfandel
SweetnessDry
OakFull
BodyMedium
Labels IncludedYes
Grape SkinsGenuWine Winery Crushed Grape Skins
A bouquet of black cherries and plump dark fruit are framed by the ample aromas of tobacco and dark coffee. Fermented on GenuWine Winery Grape Skins and French oak, this full-bodied dry wine is fruit forward, yet showcases an array of spicy flavours on the finish. :b

According to the Mosti Mondiale website for the Megllioli kits, the Sicilian Primitivo kit comes with a grape pack but no oak or raisins. You can certainly oak it to your own personal taste, though.

Hi Zalai,

I buy all my kits from Valentines in Red Deer. My brother lives there and so I coordinate with visits with his family (ie. birthdays). The prices seem to be cheaper than in Calgary. I generally pay just over 120.00 for RJ Spagnols En Primeur and pre-order the Meglioli's for around 170.00. The Rj Spagnols Winery series is cheaper. She also sells CellarCraft and WineExpert, and some other brands I'm sure. Generally the Spagnols and CellarCraft (Passport Series) limited editions are between 100.00-115.00 for the pre-orders.

http://www.valentinewineandbeer.ca/

I can't speak for their taste as I haven't tried any of these yet, but I have the following bottled or bulk aging if you ever want to do a swap since you are close :)

KR Founder's Series Australian Shiraz
CC Showcase Rosso Fortissimo
RJ - En Primeur Amarone X2
RJ - En Primeur Super Tuscan
RJ - En Primeur Mapocho Carmenere
Mosti Mondiale Barolo Mondiale
RJ Spagnols Restricted Qt. Monestrell Petit Verdot
KRS -Limited Release California Grand Red II
KRS -Limited Release Shiraz Grenache
Wine Expert Chocolate Raspberry Port
Vineco - Passport Petit Verdot
Mosti Mondiale Nebbiolo - Barolo
Mosti Mondiale Sicilian Primitivo
WineExpert - Limited Release Super Tuscan (not started)

Hi Harry

I didn't make any Meglioli kit yet ,could you tell me where you buy your kits ?
I copied and pasted this from RJ Spagnols site . This is on my wishlist :

Wine Specs
VarietalZinfandel
SweetnessDry
OakFull
BodyMedium
Labels IncludedYes
Grape SkinsGenuWine Winery Crushed Grape Skins
A bouquet of black cherries and plump dark fruit are framed by the ample aromas of tobacco and dark coffee. Fermented on GenuWine Winery Grape Skins and French oak, this full-bodied dry wine is fruit forward, yet showcases an array of spicy flavours on the finish. :b

According to the Mosti Mondiale website for the Megllioli kits, the Sicilian Primitivo kit comes with a grape pack but no oak or raisins. You can certainly oak it to your own personal taste, though.

Thank you,

Now I'll know that if it doesn't specify then it is not expected. I'll leave it as is, I have plenty of oaked wines.

I know this thread is closing in on two years old, but Mosti Mondiale is offering it again this year, and I can't find anything online other than the 2014 version took a silver and a couple bronzes in the 2015 Winemaker Amateur Competition. There aren't many Primitivo kits out there, and this one is pretty pricey, so I was hoping to get some first-hand feedback before taking the leap.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back