Mosti Mondiale Meglioli Old Vine Zinfandel

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tom, I too did the same thing on another kit I did. Never again will I put grapes in without some sort of nylon bag. What a pain!! I even had issue even with oak shavings I added to a RJS Rosso Grande kit I did. If I have to use shavings again, I probably bag these up too.

I learned after my first kit. Since then I placed everything in hops bags lol

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Racked out of secondary this afternoon. No problems. Final SG: 0.996. That will give me a final ABV of about 14%, which is just about right for OVZ.

I added the fining agents included in the kit, but decided to wait on adding the sorbate and k-meta until I set it aside for bulk aging. On all the other kits I've made that I set up for long term bulk aging I've left out the sorbate. Doesn't seem to have harmed the final results.

I'll rack again in a couple of weeks and add the k-meta to begin the long term bulk aging. I'm thinking probably 18 months in bulk before bottling. What do others think about that?

Can't believe it's been so long since I updated this thread. I've racked this wine twice since April using my AIO wine pump and found that it has continued to drop sediment through September. But the taste is just great even this early. At this time I'm planning to continue bulk aging until April, 2015, then bottle.

Can't believe it's been so long since I updated this thread. I've racked this wine twice since April using my AIO wine pump and found that it has continued to drop sediment through September. But the taste is just great even this early. At this time I'm planning to continue bulk aging until April, 2015, then bottle.

Tom,

It's April, 2015. Any activity on this wine, maybe a note or two on how it tastes?

Tom,

It's April, 2015. Any activity on this wine, maybe a note or two on how it tastes?

Sorry I didn't see your request, Craig. I finally got around to bottling this wine last Friday. :dg The color is a deep purple. It is moderately aromatic. On the nose I get red fruit, cherries, raspberries, etc. On the pallet it is medium to full bodied, very smooth and nicely integrated with peppery notes.

It is definitely drinking nicely right now. I'm very happy with it. I wonder how it will develop after a year or so in the bottle. It had continued to drop sediment still. That is with sixteen months in the carboy and two previous rackings. What's up with that?

Thanks for the updated tasting notes. As far as dropping sediment for 16 months, I wouldn't know since I haven't been making wine that long! Maybe some others with more experience with sediment dropping that long will chime in.

Thanks.

Well, it's only been about two months since I bottled this wine and I only have 15 bottles left. That's how good it is. I'm VERY pleased with the results. But I'm going to have to hide or bury some away somewhere so I can see what it's like in a couple more years. :D

I am about to bottle my Meglioli Amarone, and happy to say it tastes fantastic and is clear as a bell without any superkleer. I also put in both the grape pack and raisins like Tom. The Meglioli seem to be worth their cost! Got mine from George at WineMakersToystore, as well.

I am about to bottle my Meglioli Amarone, and happy to say it tastes fantastic and is clear as a bell without any superkleer. I also put in both the grape pack and raisins like Tom. The Meglioli seem to be worth their cost! Got mine from George at WineMakersToystore, as well.

How old is it?

Latest posts

Back