New here and to wine making....

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kristi

Reaction score
and I'm sure I'll have many dumb questions. :)

I'm Kristi. We just moved to a 1 acre hobby farm last year and one of the things I've wanted to do is to learn how to make fruit wines. A friend offered us some fresh figs off her tree, so I'm making one today, then realized that I have no idea what I'm doing. So here I am. :)

I'll be starting a thread on that specifically, but I didn't want to be rude and just post a question before I say hey and thanks for having me. :)

Welcome, you have a lot to learn and this is the place for it. You probably will not ask any questions we have not all had a one point.

Welcome, you have a lot to learn and this is the place for it. You probably will not ask any questions we have not all had a one point.

Well, thanks, Thig! That makes me feel less stupid! ha ha :)

But seriously--you are completely correct. I have a LOT to learn and I'm happy to have found this place. Y'all seem nice and friendly here from what I've read. :)

Welcome, lots of info on here. A little advice, if you are going to make fruit wines save up for a pH meter.

Thanks everyone. Will check into the pH meter. :)

Does anyone have a recommendation for one?

Hi Kristi, welcome to WMT! Tell us a little about yourself. Where you are located and what your interests are. It helps us all to get to know you better.

Ha ha NOW you've opened up the Pandora's Box, Phil! LOL kidding

Ok, here's me. I'm 47 years old, married for 26 years to a great guy, and we just bought a 1 acre hobby farm after homesteading .18 of an acre for a few years. We have been spending most of our free time building gardens, planting plants and fruit trees, and taking care of our 18 animals (goats, chickens, rabbits, chinchillas, and of course, the proverbial dogs and cats). These are my interests, along with fermenting food and drink, and anything having to do with herbs, animal nutrition and natural animal (and human) care.

I'm a farm person who was raised in the city, basically. We are hoping to make a go at making a little money from what we do on our hobby farm so we have something to do when my husband retires, but we have a lot of time to figure that out. For now, we are learning all we can to raise our own produce, milk, and eggs here, in hopes of being able to provide all that we need in those 3 areas at some point (and maybe our own meat, if we are brave enough to do that, ha ha).

Anyway, nice to meet you all! :i

Welcome kristie! Sorry to say but when it comes to stupid questions you have competition it's something we all have or had or in my case both lol enjoy the ride!
Barbie

Be sure to check out what a Dragon Blood is. It is a simple and well documented "recipe" for making a fruit wine. Make a few batches of that and you understand the process and be ready to make it your own fruit wine with other fruit and in your own style.

Kristi - first and foremost - start running. Run far far away. Otherwise your life will change forever!

Oh, it's too late. ;)

Welcome aboard! Lots of great information here, so don't hesitate to ask.

It would help if you fill out the location section of your profile so folks will know what region you are in. Because, before long I know you will be asking us about what grape varieties to plant, what fruit trees to buy, etc. etc. It happens to the best of us when we get bitten by the wine bug.

Kristi - first and foremost - start running. Run far far away. Otherwise your life will change forever!

Oh, it's too late. ;)

Welcome aboard! Lots of great information here, so don't hesitate to ask.

It would help if you fill out the location section of your profile so folks will know what region you are in. Because, before long I know you will be asking us about what grape varieties to plant, what fruit trees to buy, etc. etc. It happens to the best of us when we get bitten by the wine bug.

Ha ha, you are probably very very correct! Will get on that very soon. Until I do, I'm in SoCal. :D We actually have about 10-12 fruit trees already planted, and a few grapes (one chardonnay, 2 table), and some berries too. I will definitely be asking you how to make wines from the fruit I get, I know that much!

Thanks for the welcome!

Back