Register Now!

Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > Wine Making > Wine Cellar & Storage Forum > Wine Cellar Ideas Wanted

Old 02-17-2017, 10:30 PM   #11
Minnesotamaker
Pee Meister

Apr 2010
Liked 29 Times on 21 Posts

This is my favorite style of rack and can be easily made with scraps and salvaged wood. It is a bit more labor intensive, but stores bottles nicely. You just cut your verticals and then glue/tack with nail gun, the short horizontal pieces for each wine space. A small spacer "jig" makes it quick and easy to attach the bottle supports at a uniform spacing for all the bottles. Run a horizontal board across the top and bottom and you have yourself a wine rack. I've made quite a few of these in a uniform size and then stack them as needed. The reason I like these racks is that each bottle has its own space, you can remove any bottle at any time with out a whole pile of wine shifting. This style rack is also pretty efficiently spaced. Much better than some of the bent wire wine racks you can buy.
003s.jpg  

Old 02-17-2017, 11:17 PM   #12
Loghousewines
Just like wine

Dec 2016
Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

What size are the verticals?

Old 02-18-2017, 04:31 PM   #13
Minnesotamaker
Pee Meister

Apr 2010
Liked 29 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loghousewines View Post
What size are the verticals?
For the verticals, I just got a 4x8 sheet of 3/4" particle board. Cut it into pieces that are 9" x 22.75". The bottle rests are 9" deep and 1/2" square. I did rip a small 45 degree angle on one corner of the rests so that the bottles have a flatter surface to rest on. If you cut a spacer that is 9" x 2.5", you can use it as a jig to glue/tack the spacers evenly up the verticals. Cut another spacer that is 9" by 3" and use it to space the verticals evenly across the top and bottom of the rack. I also tacked a top, bottom, and back on my rack for stability. These sizes will give you a 7 bottle tall rack. If you stack racks more than 2 high, be sure to anchor them to the wall. This size works well for standard bottles. Some of the fatter bottles (champagne bottles for instance) won't fit in a rack with the above dimensions.

Old 02-21-2017, 12:01 AM   #14
Loghousewines
Just like wine

Dec 2016
Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Awesome, thanks. I have been trying to design a rack so this helps much.

Old 04-13-2017, 10:17 AM   #15
Landwaster

Feb 2014
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

i made one these single bottle racks based on a design in a back issue of winemaker. It's about 5x5' and holds 100. The design is easy and cheap but it took a bit of time to just mark the spacing and nail each individual piece to the beams (for that design at least). It's almost filled up and I'll have another 100 bottles to add this year. I'll probably do the much simpler diamond design this time around, maybe with slightly smaller spacing than the previous poster since we do a large amount but smaller batches.

Old 04-13-2017, 11:55 AM   #16
LittleBearGameFarm

Jun 2013
Liked 44 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 104

The smaller wine rack on top of the case on the right is making me really nervous