WineXpert sauvignon Blanc

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atacama23

Junior
Reaction score
I am in the secondary fermentation step with my Sauvignon Blanc. It says in the directions to clarify and stabilize after 10 days in the secondary. Is it ok to leave and age for longer at this stage prior to stabilizing and clarifying or will leaving it on the yeast for a longer period give the wine a strange taste or some other unwanted side effect? Are there any positives for not stabilizing and clarifying at this point?

Thanks

Just leaving it for a few more weeks won't hurt, but I wouldn't leave it for more than 4 weeks..

I agree with Bert but some others and Wineries will leave it sit on the secondary lees for longer and say it can get more body and mouthfeel that way but for how long is an opinion so I wont answer that. 2 weeks is fine though if thats the answer youre looking for.

Not really looking for any particular answer. But winexpert wants you to keep all the sediment when transferring from primary to secondary while other companies want you to only keep the fine lees. A few posts seem to allude to the fact that leaving wine sit on gross lees for too long can be detrimental to wine. If this train of thought is accurate it seems there is a tighter time frame to age for winexpert kits at this step in comparison to some others.

Thanks for any thoughts. I think I will let sit for 3 or 4 weeks given time and patience seems to be rewarded.

Youre right as I didnt think to ask what manufacturer this was and you should get them off the gross lees. You have a little while to do this ut dont go more then 2 weeks and that maybe be pushing it a little. If it were secondary lees then it would not be detrimental. The cause of this is that once the yeast cells eat all the sugar then they start to eat the dead yeast which is called autolysis and can cause off flavors.
Edited by: wade

Back