What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Remember to cut across the grain and slice about the width of a pencil.

Yes sir...lol
We turned this forum into a BBQ forum, almost...lol

Thanks guys for all the advise, really hoping this would turn out good. Punching the probe on the point was like butter, the flat not so much but not bad.

@geek If you’re up to it, after you’ve rested the whole chunk for a few hours, separate the two cuts, there’s a layer of fat between, easy to do. The grain in the two usually runs quite differently, so they each need different slicing directions. Just makes slicing a little easier.

I really thought this would be a loss, LOL

I learned a few things here and there.
The flat is delicious and the point is to die for, I’m not exaggerating.

This is one pic of the other stuff we cooked for the party.

IMG_0709.JPG

Nice job Varis. Aaron would be proud of you! Even if it didn't turn out, keep trying, that's the easiest way to learn (other than the big pride hit you take for a few hours if it doesn't turn out so well). DId you take notes? Keep notes on every cook. The fact that it got so cold overnight is unique, and some day in the future if it happens again you'll know how to recover.

I took the easy route. Gyros (or doners or kebabtorki depending on where you came from). Mixed up some lamb and pork (more U.S. style, I guess the greeks use mostly pork nowdays), some tzatziki sauce and made some quickie pitas (easier than I remembered). Perfect day, rained really hard early, so I could mix everything up. Then cleared so I could start up the kettle grill with some lump charcoal. Just incredible flavor, added some feta, tomato and spinach to the pita. Really my enjoyed a bachelor meal (wifey and younger kids at the Washington zoo, oldest daughter working).

6-29-19_gyros-1.jpg

6-29-19_gyros-2.jpg

6-29-19_gyros-3.jpg

Tomorrow doing a little warm up smoke for the 4th. I went to my local Smith's and asked them if they could order some Dino Beef Ribs. Got a big what? Said Beef Plate Ribs. What? Said 123A Ribs. What? Honestly they had no clue. I guess they don't ever get them in and cut them into other ribs so..... I ended up getting a nice 4 rib whole beef short rib. It is not the same but it should be good if I can get it done to right tenderness.

The uncut short ribs look like this........

490fb638bc5106a04f2e578b8ebc13.jpg

The Plate Ribs look like this.......

owAkXJM.jpg

I guess I will have to look in Santa fe or ABQ next time I am out and about.

Will post a few pics mañana!

I can get the shorter beef ribs at both of my local markets (the smaller versions like in my recent post). They are usually pretty expensive so I wait until they go on sale. Not sure why they don't sell other than people don't know how to cook them properly (takes too much time, I guess). That whole short rib you got should work just fine, be nice to have a dedicated ban saw for meat, you could cut them down on your own and save a ton of $$.

I'm guessing the plate ribs cut down are what I'm getting from the images you posted. They are labeled as beef short ribs.

I took the easy route. Gyros (or doners or kebabtorki depending on where you came from). Mixed up some lamb and pork (more U.S. style, I guess the greeks use mostly pork nowdays), some tzatziki sauce and made some quickie pitas (easier than I remembered).

Tell me more, Craig? I loves me some döner kebab. I didn't know you could, uhhh, make it yourself. :) Do you have a recipe to riff off of?

Short ribs never go on sale locally. I paid $4.50/lb for these or a little north of $17 for the package. Brisket never goes on sale here either. Alway $4.99lb for choice and not even nice looking choice. Needless to say its easier and more fun to make a Costco run to ABQ to pick up a prime brisket (among other things) for $3.29lb plus fuel up on cheap gas (currently $2.09).

Tell me more, Craig? I loves me some döner kebab. I didn't know you could, uhhh, make it yourself. :) Do you have a recipe to riff off of?
In reality I guess they are neither of the above since the meat isn't rotating, but I call them gyros anyway. My favorite base recipe is from Alton Brown (food network).

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/gyro-meat-with-tzatziki-sauce-recipe-2047710

I use more garlic, less lamb (replace half with pork) and do it on the charcoal grill with bamboo skewers instead of a rotisserie. I also use fresh herbs instead of dried, plus I add some cinnamon, cumin and garam masala. Any fragrant middle east type herb/spice combo works really well. I use what has worked in the past with little tweaks depending on my mood (and or drunkenness).

In reality I guess they are neither of the above since the meat isn't rotating, but I call them gyros anyway. My favorite base recipe is from Alton Brown (food network).

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/gyro-meat-with-tzatziki-sauce-recipe-2047710

I use more garlic, less lamb (replace half with pork) and do it on the charcoal grill with bamboo skewers instead of a rotisserie. I also use fresh herbs instead of dried, plus I add some cinnamon, cumin and garam masala. Any fragrant middle east type herb/spice combo works really well. I use what has worked in the past with little tweaks depending on my mood (and or drunkenness).

Thank you!! I will have to try this. Don't know why I never thought to before. I guess I kinda see gyros or döner and think "That is a special thing way above my pay grade." But you have helped me see that it's just meat and spices! Thanks!

Curious as to what everyone is cooking on the fourth, so I start it out with what I'm planning to do. Will drag the stick burner out of the garage early and aim for about a 10 hour cook for some pulled pork. Even though I don't have that many mouths to feed, the leftovers are really easy to foodsave and use for things like cuban sandwiches or a quickie meal if I portion them out. We are supposed to get T-storms during the afternoon and evening, but it's been a while since the New Braunfels cooker got a bath. If it gets too rusty and falls apart that would be a perfect reason to go get another one, or maybe even a pellet grill.

7-2-19_pork-butt.jpg

Curious as to what everyone is cooking on the fourth, so I start it out with what I'm planning to do. Will drag the stick burner out of the garage early and aim for about a 10 hour cook for some pulled pork. Even though I don't have that many mouths to feed, the leftovers are really easy to foodsave and use for things like cuban sandwiches or a quickie meal if I portion them out. We are supposed to get T-storms during the afternoon and evening, but it's been a while since the New Braunfels cooker got a bath. If it gets too rusty and falls apart that would be a perfect reason to go get another one, or maybe even a pellet grill.

View attachment 55344

I'm going to try my second attempt with the offset smoker. My son and I are going to do a pork butt and another piece of the brisket.

Back