19.5 brix

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reisjdmd

Reaction score
no, not from my vineyard, aswe havea blizzard toady in wisconsin. but, my wife bought some white seedless tabale grapes, and for the heck of it, i got a reading of 19.5. that got me to thinking the following:

if my vines gave this reading, would they be good for wine?

if not enough sugar, what does a homevintner do?? add sugar, and if so what kind?? blend with other grapes?? try to make wine, and if so, what can you expect?? weak wine or no wine or what?

any advice appreciated from this newbie

I think you'd have to add a bit of sugar.

I made wine from homegrown grapes...they were low S.G....I also added some grape concentrate as well as a bit of sugar.

Chances are the seedless table grapes wouldn't make very good wine- the acid would be too low and not enough flavors or tannins for a decent wine. If your grapes had a bris of 19.5, it would depend on the variety what you would want to do. s stated, you might have unripe grapes and would have too much acid and could add sugar to bring the brix up. You would have to check the acid level for pH and TA and make a determination from that as what to do. First, grow the grapes and when you get some then we can help with proper time to pick and what to do to help correct deficiencies.

Doesn't the weather stink?
smiley18.gif
Winter storm warning again for 6-10 inches again.............................................

Back