Houston...we have a problem

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newbie1

Junior
Reaction score
Hello again,
Well, I just moved my first wine attempt to a carboy and it seems I have what is called "rotton egg syndrome" (or something like that). I read there are some various ways to recover but want to ask the experts here before I try anything.

Thanks in advance

Newbie with a bum Merlot

Please tell us what u r making and what was our recipe also sg readings and what is the acid

I am making a Chilean Merlot using a Vinter's Best equipment package and kit juice. I have to go get a kit tomorrow to test for Hydrogen-sulfide, as I understand. I haven't measured for anything as I have no tools for it. Any suggestions? It smelled a little odd fermenting (bubbled for about 5-6 days) and when I popped the top, it was really odd! :)

Luckily, my first batch of beer seems to be doing better.

If this is a kit I wouldnt bother getting that test kit as I highly doubt you have a H2S problem. In all my years I have never run across an actual problem like this with a kit and its always a new winemaker just unfamiliar with the smells of a standard fermentation.

I am making a Chilean Merlot using a Vinter's Best equipment package and kit juice. I have to go get a kit tomorrow to test for Hydrogen-sulfide, as I understand. I haven't measured for anything as I have no tools for it. Any suggestions? It smelled a little odd fermenting (bubbled for about 5-6 days) and when I popped the top, it was really odd! :)
What brand of Chilean Merlot?

Did the equipment package not have a hydrometer and thermometer in it? If it don't it's pretty crappy.

Steve

You mentioned your first batch of beer is doing better. Have you read the book Joy of home brewing by Charlie Papazizn? He has a great saying:

"relax, don't worry, have a home brew."

On some of my first home brews (beer) I was not very patient and bottled a little to soon. The beer had some diacetyl in it, which is ok in some beer but not in the ones I was brewing.

My first wine is still in the works and I thought the same as you , WOW this dosn't smell like what I expected. Well that was a couple of weeks ago and the egg smell is mostly gone. Follow your kit instructions and what ever these fine folks here have to say.

Your beer will be ready in a few weeks, your wine may take a few months.

Enjoy the learning roller coaster.

Forgot to mention that every fermentation will produce H2S to some extent and some more then others so you will smell some at some points but like I said with kits this is almost impossible.

I realize that this is off the topic, but the subjct of this posting (Houston...we have a problem) reminds me of the best sign I have ever seen at an NFL game. It was during the playoffs and the game was between the Pittsburgh Steelers and Houston Oilers in Pittsburgh. The very prophetic sign simply read, "Houston, you have a problem!"

Back