For Beginners like me

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ernest T Bass

Reaction score
This probably isn't the right place to post this, but this is where the beginners hang out.
Yesterday I went Dumpster Diving, I ended up with 29 bottles, most wine.
One place I got 12 wine bottles, I found out from a man cleaning up outside that they had a wine tasting contest last nite. Another place was a Sports Bar.

Semper Fi

Later Bud

Hey, whatever works for you!!! I had a grandpa that dumpster dived and brought home all kinds of things. Some useful some not. Too bad he didn't collect bottles, I'd use 'em. I buy the cheapest I can find, $6 a case.

Instead of dumpster diving, I contacted all of the local bars, nicer restaurants, wine bars, etc... and asked them to save bottles for me. I mention that this is a great way to recycle and help out a local wine maker at the same time. I now have 3 places where just about on a weekly basis they will have a case or two for me. Last saturday I went to one location and they had 11 cases of bottles. Unfortunately 6 cases were twist off bottles. But still 5 cases is great. They are now saving me only cork finish bottles and saving the twist off for a lady who does some sort of glass work with the old bottles.

Can't you use corks in twist off bottles? The only reason I ask is because I have a ton off them

Can't you use corks in twist off bottles? The only reason I ask is because I have a ton off them

You are taking a chance. A chance I will not take. The neck of the bottle is thinner. So, when inserting a cork the neck may break. I'd rather drink it than see it go down the drain.

This probably isn't the right place to post this, but this is where the beginners hang out.
Yesterday I went Dumpster Diving, I ended up with 29 bottles, most wine.
One place I got 12 wine bottles, I found out from a man cleaning up outside that they had a wine tasting contest last nite. Another place was a Sports Bar.

Semper Fi

Later Bud

Another way is talk to ALL your friends that you are looking for bottles. You B surprised who drinks wine. Have them save them 4 U

Not a good idea there is not enough glass in that area of a screw top bottle.

You are taking a chance. A chance I will not take. The neck of the bottle is thinner. So, when inserting a cork the neck may break. I'd rather drink it than see it go down the drain.

Tom is correct with what he said but another unsuspecting danger is taking the cork out. Many people pull corks out on an angle putting pressure on the neck. Imagine our wife or friend pulling out a cork breaking the neck and getting cut or just plain ruining a good bottle of wine.

Wow I'm glad I asked before I bottled. That could have been a real disaster! Thanks for the advice.

I use mainly screw tops for my wine bottles & the few that are corked the corks are only partly in, as when i open a new bought corked bottle of wine i dont go all the way through the cork so the cork gets a second use, is there much of a differance in the wine (finished product) in using screw tops or corks.

All my wine goes in recycled twist off bottles I get from a local cider vendor. I get new caps from www.grapestomers.com for 11 cents a cap but I only use new ones when I can't get the used ones to come clean or something. So far, the twist top is my favorite bottle to use. Haven't used a cork yet.

I was reading on one of the web sites / magazines that they had done some test on the twist top / cork question and found there is no difference in the quality of wine in either container. That sold me. The twist type are easier to get, cheap and you don't need a bottle opener.

All my wine goes in recycled twist off bottles I get from a local cider vendor. I get new caps from www.grapestomers.com for 11 cents a cap but I only use new ones when I can't get the used ones to come clean or something. So far, the twist top is my favorite bottle to use. Haven't used a cork yet.

I was reading on one of the web sites / magazines that they had done some test on the twist top / cork question and found there is no difference in the quality of wine in either container. That sold me. The twist type are easier to get, cheap and you don't need a bottle opener.
Unfortunately most of the testing has been done on Stelvin-style screw-top closures. The ones that you are talking about are not Stelvin-style closures.

There are no 'reasonably-priced' machines that apply Stelvin caps available to home wine makers. Thus it is difficult to re-use commercial scre-top wine bottles.

The cider bottles, the coffee flavour bottles, and screw-top bottles from some HBS stores take the caps that you are using. However, personally, I am concerned about using those for long-term storage, as I do not believe that any testing has been done.

Steve

Latest posts

Back