Register Now!

Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > Wine Making > Barrels & Oaking > Should I use Oak provided with kit or....

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 10-14-2017, 07:28 AM   #11
skyfire322

May 2017
Liked 53 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 217

In regards to using oak cubes, I added 3 oz of heavy toasted French oak cubes to my Sangio/Merlot after primary, and I couldn't detect any oak flavor. It did increase the tannins a little and you could get a very slight "campfire" type of aroma but not much else.

I love wines with a smoky oaky flavor, so I ended up adding a Med+ French oak spiral the final month before bottling which seemed to do the trick.

I think for my next batch of red, I'm going to skip the oak cubes all together and stick with the spirals (thinking about soaking them in whisky for a few weeks).

LilChief Likes This 
Old 10-14-2017, 07:53 AM   #12
LoveTheWine

Sep 2012
Liked 120 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smok1 View Post
I used american oak cubes, id like french oak but for some reason it cost a small fortune where i order my supplies from, yeah i soaked about a cup of cubes in about 2 cups of gentleman jacks for about 2-3 weeks.
The Hungarian (European) cubes from Stavin are a middling price and have a great flavour.

http://ecom.bosagrape.com/product.ph...cat=444&page=1

"Life is much too short to drink bad wines!"

https://www.facebook.com/beakmanbrewing

LilChief Likes This 
Old 10-14-2017, 09:48 AM   #13
LilChief

Oct 2017
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyfire322 View Post
In regards to using oak cubes, I added 3 oz of heavy toasted French oak cubes to my Sangio/Merlot after primary, and I couldn't detect any oak flavor. It did increase the tannins a little and you could get a very slight "campfire" type of aroma but not much else.

I love wines with a smoky oaky flavor, so I ended up adding a Med+ French oak spiral the final month before bottling which seemed to do the trick.

I think for my next batch of red, I'm going to skip the oak cubes all together and stick with the spirals (thinking about soaking them in whisky for a few weeks).
I just received my French and American oak spirals so I'm excited to start aging my first batch in two weeks. I decided to age my Montepulciano/Tempranillo with the French oak spirals. Smok1 convinced me my Cabernet is gettting the American oak soaked in Jim Beam for a few weeks.

From what I've read the darker roasted oaks provide the smokiness your looking for. What's your favorite wine you have done so far?

Old 10-14-2017, 09:49 AM   #14
LilChief

Oct 2017
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveTheWine View Post
The Hungarian (European) cubes from Stavin are a middling price and have a great flavour.

http://ecom.bosagrape.com/product.ph...cat=444&page=1
What's your favorite roast on the oak to use?

Old 10-14-2017, 12:11 PM   #15
LoveTheWine

Sep 2012
Liked 120 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilChief View Post
What's your favorite roast on the oak to use?
I like Medium + Oak beans/cubes. Staves and spirals are great too but hard to source good ones where I live.

Save powder and chips for primary fermentation

"Life is much too short to drink bad wines!"

https://www.facebook.com/beakmanbrewing

Old 10-15-2017, 02:24 PM   #16
skyfire322

May 2017
Liked 53 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 217

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilChief View Post
I just received my French and American oak spirals so I'm excited to start aging my first batch in two weeks. I decided to age my Montepulciano/Tempranillo with the French oak spirals. Smok1 convinced me my Cabernet is gettting the American oak soaked in Jim Beam for a few weeks.

From what I've read the darker roasted oaks provide the smokiness your looking for. What's your favorite wine you have done so far?
The Sangiovese Merlot blend is the only kit I've made on my own so far, but I'll be starting a Riesling Traminer blend next week.

As silly as it sounds, my thought process on oak is that "old world" varietals (ie Sangio, Tempernillo, etc.) would work better in French oak, where as popular "new world" varietals (Zinfandel, Cab, etc.) would be benefit from the American oak.

In the end though, it all comes down to personal taste!