Register Now!

Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > Wine Making > Barrels & Oaking > Should I use Oak provided with kit or....


Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-14-2017, 07:28 AM   #11
skyfire322
Junior Member
 
skyfire322's Avatar
 
May 2017
Posts: 118
Liked 53 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 217


In regards to using oak cubes, I added 3 oz of heavy toasted French oak cubes to my Sangio/Merlot after primary, and I couldn't detect any oak flavor. It did increase the tannins a little and you could get a very slight "campfire" type of aroma but not much else.

I love wines with a smoky oaky flavor, so I ended up adding a Med+ French oak spiral the final month before bottling which seemed to do the trick.

I think for my next batch of red, I'm going to skip the oak cubes all together and stick with the spirals (thinking about soaking them in whisky for a few weeks).

LilChief Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 07:53 AM   #12
LoveTheWine
Member
 
LoveTheWine's Avatar
 
Sep 2012
Posts: 515
Liked 120 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 111


Quote:
Originally Posted by Smok1 View Post
I used american oak cubes, id like french oak but for some reason it cost a small fortune where i order my supplies from, yeah i soaked about a cup of cubes in about 2 cups of gentleman jacks for about 2-3 weeks.
The Hungarian (European) cubes from Stavin are a middling price and have a great flavour.

http://ecom.bosagrape.com/product.ph...cat=444&page=1
__________________
Aaron

"Life is much too short to drink bad wines!"


https://www.facebook.com/beakmanbrewing

LilChief Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 09:48 AM   #13
LilChief
Junior Member
 
Oct 2017
Posts: 6
Likes Given: 8


Quote:
Originally Posted by skyfire322 View Post
In regards to using oak cubes, I added 3 oz of heavy toasted French oak cubes to my Sangio/Merlot after primary, and I couldn't detect any oak flavor. It did increase the tannins a little and you could get a very slight "campfire" type of aroma but not much else.

I love wines with a smoky oaky flavor, so I ended up adding a Med+ French oak spiral the final month before bottling which seemed to do the trick.

I think for my next batch of red, I'm going to skip the oak cubes all together and stick with the spirals (thinking about soaking them in whisky for a few weeks).
I just received my French and American oak spirals so I'm excited to start aging my first batch in two weeks. I decided to age my Montepulciano/Tempranillo with the French oak spirals. Smok1 convinced me my Cabernet is gettting the American oak soaked in Jim Beam for a few weeks.

From what I've read the darker roasted oaks provide the smokiness your looking for. What's your favorite wine you have done so far?


 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 09:49 AM   #14
LilChief
Junior Member
 
Oct 2017
Posts: 6
Likes Given: 8


Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveTheWine View Post
The Hungarian (European) cubes from Stavin are a middling price and have a great flavour.

http://ecom.bosagrape.com/product.ph...cat=444&page=1
What's your favorite roast on the oak to use?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 12:11 PM   #15
LoveTheWine
Member
 
LoveTheWine's Avatar
 
Sep 2012
Posts: 515
Liked 120 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 111


Quote:
Originally Posted by LilChief View Post
What's your favorite roast on the oak to use?
I like Medium + Oak beans/cubes. Staves and spirals are great too but hard to source good ones where I live.

Save powder and chips for primary fermentation
__________________
Aaron

"Life is much too short to drink bad wines!"


https://www.facebook.com/beakmanbrewing

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 02:24 PM   #16
skyfire322
Junior Member
 
skyfire322's Avatar
 
May 2017
Posts: 118
Liked 53 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 217


Quote:
Originally Posted by LilChief View Post
I just received my French and American oak spirals so I'm excited to start aging my first batch in two weeks. I decided to age my Montepulciano/Tempranillo with the French oak spirals. Smok1 convinced me my Cabernet is gettting the American oak soaked in Jim Beam for a few weeks.

From what I've read the darker roasted oaks provide the smokiness your looking for. What's your favorite wine you have done so far?
The Sangiovese Merlot blend is the only kit I've made on my own so far, but I'll be starting a Riesling Traminer blend next week.

As silly as it sounds, my thought process on oak is that "old world" varietals (ie Sangio, Tempernillo, etc.) would work better in French oak, where as popular "new world" varietals (Zinfandel, Cab, etc.) would be benefit from the American oak.

In the end though, it all comes down to personal taste!

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Wine Making Forum Replies Last Post
Do you use provided labels? charlano Bottles, Labels & Corks 21 06-02-2015 11:18 AM


Forum Jump