May 2015 Wine of the Month Club

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok...here we go!!!!!

1 96 oz can of Vintner's blackberry fruit wine base
64 oz Blackberry wine concentrate from Homewinery.com
1 lb currants
Water to 5 gallons
sugar to 1.10% SG
2.5 cups light dry malt
3 tsp pectic enzyme
2.5 tsp yeast energizer
2.5 tsp yeast nutrient
8 T American Oak powder
2 grams FT Rouge Soft
2 grams FT Blanc Soft

Yeast is 71B

By the time everything has been said and done, this is at 6 gallons. I'm hoping that doesn't dilute the flavor too much, but since each of the blackberry base was supposed to make 5 gallons apiece, combining them even at 6 gallons should much a wine with good body. In theory anyway.

eta:
Added 1 oz french chips
2 tsp tannin

Last edited:
First attempt under way,

2.5kg rhubarb

325 grams light raisins

4.29 L water

2 kg sugar

1/3 tsp tannin

1.5 tsp yeast nutrient

1.5 campden tablets

1 tsp pectic enzyme

1 pkg yeast Qa-23 Lavlin
ImageUploadedByWine Making1432123342.897612.jpg
Ok so I thawed rhubarb in primary and added 1.5kg sugar + campden (I held back .5kg in case I over shoot or if I under shot I could add more)
It's now 3 days on. I've strained rhubarb and added rest of ingredients except yeast.
I undershot my target gravity. Wanted 1.085/1.090 hit 1.066 ish so I made a syrup with the additional .5 kg sugar, let it cool and added it to primary.
Hit 1.093
It's now covered and waiting on yeast, I'll do that tomorrow. Attached a pic of hydrometer sample.
Tastes nice and it's not even started but it's always a good thing to start with a nice sample [emoji3]

Last edited:
First attempt under way,

2.5kg rhubarb

325 grams light raisins

4.29 L water

2 kg sugar

1/3 tsp tannin

1.5 tsp yeast nutrient

1.5 campden tablets

1 tsp pectic enzyme

1 pkg yeast Qa-23 Lavlin
View attachment 22331
Ok so I thawed rhubarb in primary and added 1.5kg sugar + campden (I held back .5kg in case I over shoot or if I under shot I could add more)
It's now 3 days on. I've strained rhubarb and added rest of ingredients except yeast.
I undershot my target gravity. Wanted 1.085/1.090 hit 1.066 ish so I made a syrup with the additional .5 kg sugar, let it cool and added it to primary.
Hit 1.086
It's now covered and waiting on yeast, I'll do that tomorrow. Attached a pic of hydrometer sample.
Tastes nice and it's not even started but it's always a good thing to start with a nice sample [emoji3]

So, you don't say when you added, or if you have already added the water. It may be a little light. I did the math and you had a little over 5 pounds of rhubarb to a little over 4 quarts of water. I have made rhubarb wine several times and I don't add quite that ratio of water to rhubarb. But I do allow the rhubarb and sugar to soak for 3 days, then make my wine. Rhubarb takes a year or so, so you may want to freeze some rhubarb in order to make a flavor pak later in your process. Rhubarb happens to be one of my very favorites! Good Luck with yours

So, you don't say when you added, or if you have already added the water. It may be a little light. I did the math and you had a little over 5 pounds of rhubarb to a little over 4 quarts of water. I have made rhubarb wine several times and I don't add quite that ratio of water to rhubarb. But I do allow the rhubarb and sugar to soak for 3 days, then make my wine. Rhubarb takes a year or so, so you may want to freeze some rhubarb in order to make a flavor pak later in your process. Rhubarb happens to be one of my very favorites! Good Luck with yours

I added the water with the rest of the ingredients, I ended up with so of 1.093 so if if ferments to .995 it'll 12.8% where I'm aiming for.
How do you mean light?

Last edited:
Hey @OhCrap! I believe she means light on flavour - generally you want a fairly high low amount of water compared to fruit. 5Lbs of rhubarb/gallon might require the addition of an Fpack of pure rhubarb to really bring out the flavour once fermentation has happened.

I have added the zest (via potato peeler, no pith) to my Grapefruit Wine to enhance the flavour. No more explosions, but there is still a decent amount of yeast floating at the top. Hoping to check tonight for a finished S.G./

Hey @OhCrap! I believe she means light on flavour - generally you want a fairly high low amount of water compared to fruit. 5Lbs of rhubarb/gallon might require the addition of an Fpack of pure rhubarb to really bring out the flavour once fermentation has happened.

I have added the zest (via potato peeler, no pith) to my Grapefruit Wine to enhance the flavour. No more explosions, but there is still a decent amount of yeast floating at the top. Hoping to check tonight for a finished S.G./

Gotcha... I have plenty left in the freezer...I'll wait and taste at a later stage and adjust to suit

Rhubarb gives up it's juice pretty easily after freezing. just plonk it in some cheesecloth and all you will be left with is a bit of stringy goo :) Just IMHO!

My repeatedly mauled/transplanted rhubarb is back again this year and growing like crazy!!

I still need to make some rhubarb wine.

The problem is...everytime I get any in the house it ends up paired with basil for lemonade. Or with strawberries for a pie!

finally got the supplies in last night including a Hannah ph meter and buffer solutions. Turns out that pure DOLE pineapple juice has a PH of 3.78. After some addition of tartaric acid and acid blend I got it down to a comfortable 3.4.

Pineapple wine is started now using

30L of pineapple juice
8 cups sugar (Sg at 1.095)
1 tsp tannin
1 tsp yeast energizer
2.5 tsp yeast nutrient
Acid blend and tartaric acid.

Note to future self if ever I do this pineapple recipe again... DONT USE YEAST ENERGIZER!!

I made this on a 3rd generation yeast which had just finished two skeeter pees and this is what I come downstairs to today... Luckily I had the foresight to place it in the laundry sink! ImageUploadedByWine Making1432256518.774835.jpgImageUploadedByWine Making1432256532.889727.jpgImageUploadedByWine Making1432256541.673019.jpg

Not bad for my first eruption! Haha.

Transferred half the must out to a carboy last night and the bucket must STILL rose enough to pop the lid and move it about 2 inches off to the side. (Though the foam must have either subsided and fallen back into the must or evolved and walked out the door as there was no evidence aside from some debris on the side of the bucket)

I am actually afraid to go in to the basement now in fear that one day it will be there waiting for me.

Oh it will be waiting all right...

Silently...sitting in the dark...

Watching...

Waiting....

Last edited:
...Ready to pounce when you're least expecting it...

My goodness, that is one heck of an eruption! I've never seen one so foamy before! Citrus/tropicals do weird things.

My grapefruit peels are nearly white already, so i'm hoping I can rack this baby into a fresh carboy soon.

Update on the ginger mead.
No photo but Thursday morning about 16 days after pitching the yeast the mead was incredibly clear (not yet bright but clear enough to read through).
As for the pineapple eruption, my experience too has been that pineapple produces an enormous amount of froth and foam. I have a gallon quietly aging but I started the fermentation in a 3 gallon carboy and there was about a gallon of froth. I doubt that the source of the problem is with the nutrients or "energizer". I suspect the problem comes from the amount and type of particulates that constitute the fruit itself.

I couldn't resist a sneaky peak at my rhubarb wine.... Lovely smell and a nice fizzing sound from the happy yeast

if you thief a sip or two at this point it will taste like rhubarb champagne...don't as me how I know that...:D

And yes, I meant a little light on flavor. Last years batch I believe I had 45 lbs of rhubarb, 4 1/2 lbs of raspberries and ended up with about 5 gallons of wine. The first rhubarb I made was 25lbs of rhubarb and 2 1/2 lbs of raspberries, ending in 5 gallons of wine and had to add a flavor pak. The second batch is a stronger rhubarb flavor with that lingering raspberries at the end. I haven't bottled it yet, but it is probably ready to go!

Back