Register Now!

Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > Wine Making > Special Interest Wines > carrot wine???

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 08-24-2015, 03:41 PM   #31
bein_bein

Jan 2008
Liked 53 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabrictodyefor View Post
I pulled my carrots from outside yesterday as it was to get down to 5 and I didn't want frozen carrots....so....I am going to follow your recipe bein_bein. I was also planning on using the red oak.....and was wondering what "your toasting method" is! I have never used oak yet, but this seems like a good time to start!

Sincere apologies for not seeing this (much) sooner
Somehow this one slipped through the crack...to address your question, I actually posted this on another (un-named) wine forum

Quote:
I posed a question earlier on Red oak (here on that 'other' forum)to see if it was feasible to even try red oak. I got some dissenting opinions ,which is fine... and not at all uncommon......Well, since I had at least one favorable response I decided to go ahead an do an experiment with some red oak. I grabbed it out of the garbage (it was a new bag and the oak was the only thing in there, so there wasn't any contamination in that regard). I washed them in some sanitizer them rinsed them well. Then I did some research on toasting oak and found a this site that was pretty helpful.There was a nice little graph that showed toasting results

I tossed the wood right onto the rack in the oven and started out at about 320-325deg. I left them there for about 90min then turned it up to 375 for another 35min. Here's my result...the two diagonal sticks are a couple I kept out for before and after comparison...

I was really surprised how dark they got . Next step will be to try these in my carrot wine when it clears a little more.
The rest, as they say...is history..

Old 08-25-2015, 07:54 AM   #32
fabrictodyefor

Aug 2013
Liked 76 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 95

LOL, I did put the carrot wine on oak. It is ok, but I haven't made it again! But I haven't tried it for a while. Maybe it is time to break out another bottle! Thanks for the info on toasting your own oak. I may try that sometime. I've used oak since, but just bought from the wine supply store.

Old 10-20-2015, 03:31 PM   #33
chasemandingo

May 2013
Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm thinking that perhaps one should up the carrots to 5 or 6 lbs per gallon....coin them.....get out the boil kettle and boil in 6 1/2 gallons of water for an hour then drain into bucket....add 2 cans welches white.....1 lbs golden raisins a few bananas and sugar to 1.084......then adjust acid post ferment and see what happens!

Old 02-15-2016, 10:13 AM   #34
Prewno

Feb 2016
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Terry Garey had a recipe for carrot wine. She mentioned that the flavor gets better with age