What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Going on our first boat outing of the season. All systems were go last weekend but this is a week later so we'll see. I'm the official frozen drink maker. Will be serving home blended Pina Colodas. It's the only way I can get friends. When my wine is ready to serve I might have a few more.

Great day for it!

I am sure there are worse things I could have done while moving my now-2-year-old WE Eclipse Stag's Leap Merlot into rotation for the first time, while Mrs. Sour Grapes was waiting for me to come upstairs and make love to her, than to have the bottom of the box fall out in the backmost corner of the wine room, breaking 3 bottles, and sending a garnet stream of wine and glass to cover the bottom of all of the other boxes, necessitating a massive move-and-mop operation.

However, I am having trouble thinking of any at the moment... :?

:slp

Hmmm, can't compete with Paul. Got my foot operated on yesterday, sentence is 4 days off my feet. I did manage to top barrels and now have it up as I enjoy some of my 2014 Bordoux blend.

Got myself a 'new' grill today. I'm a Weber guy and love their stuff. But I cringe at the prices of new grills. Good news is, if you take care of it, a Weber will last you many, many years. And if you're patient and watch Craigslist, good deals abound. I've been a charcoal guy for a long time now, but have had a Weber Q for camping, tailgating and the occasional quick home cook. It is good and reliable, but not a ton of space, and a single burner. I've had my eye on a 3 or 4 burner Genessis or Summit for a while and found one this weekend. Chocolate brown and in great shape. Wifey was out w/ some fellow teachers tonight, so I did some burgers for the boys and a celebratory T-bone for me (overcooked 'em all, but that's part of getting used to a new cooker). She worked like a champ. Thrilled to have found this deal, despite the fact that my wife thinks I'm insane. This just adds to my 'collection'.

IMG_5373.jpg

IMG_5369.jpg

IMG_5376.jpg

I agree, those are built to last! So this was a CL find? Looks to be brand new. Did it fall "out the back of a truck" ? :)

Got myself a 'new' grill today. I'm a Weber guy and love their stuff. But I cringe at the prices of new grills. Good news is, if you take care of it, a Weber will last you many, many years. And if you're patient and watch Craigslist, good deals abound. I've been a charcoal guy for a long time now, but have had a Weber Q for camping, tailgating and the occasional quick home cook. It is good and reliable, but not a ton of space, and a single burner. I've had my eye on a 3 or 4 burner Genessis or Summit for a while and found one this weekend. Chocolate brown and in great shape. Wifey was out w/ some fellow teachers tonight, so I did some burgers for the boys and a celebratory T-bone for me (overcooked 'em all, but that's part of getting used to a new cooker). She worked like a champ. Thrilled to have found this deal, despite the fact that my wife thinks I'm insane. This just adds to my 'collection'.

I agree, those are built to last! So this was a CL find? Looks to be brand new. Did it fall "out the back of a truck" ? :)

Yes, CL. Believe it or not, its 5 years old, based on the date code in the serial #. The guy said it was his son's grill that he had 'at school'. While the home was very 'normal', this may be a case of someone who has a lot of $$ and bought their kid a Genesis that rarely got used. I'm not complaining. This is a 3 burner, with side burner. Was at Lowe's shortly after, and the new 2 burner with a side burner was $999. I paid $300.

You better run like you stole something...... Cause you just did! :)

Yes, CL. Believe it or not, its 5 years old, based on the date code in the serial #. The guy said it was his son's grill that he had 'at school'. While the home was very 'normal', this may be a case of someone who has a lot of $$ and bought their kid a Genesis that rarely got used. I'm not complaining. This is a 3 burner, with side burner. Was at Lowe's shortly after, and the new 2 burner with a side burner was $999. I paid $300.

Very good buy. Mine is approaching 20 yrs old (old B-series triple burner). I'm more interested in what you thought of your Forza in picture #1. I had one this week while on vacation and it really has improved quite a bit. It think mine is approaching 2 years old next month, can't wait till it hits 5 or so years (and believe it or not I still have 21 of the suckers, miracles happen).

I just sold the last of my extra tickets to the US Open golf tournament (which is being held near here this year). I had bought four full-week packages, but then my brother- and sister-in-law decided they only wanted to go for the weekend, so I have been busy selling the extras. I am going to attend for most of next week. Should be fun! :db

I just sold the last of my extra tickets to the US Open golf tournament (which is being held near here this year). I had bought four full-week packages, but then my brother- and sister-in-law decided they only wanted to go for the weekend, so I have been busy selling the extras. I am going to attend for most of next week. Should be fun! :db

Only been to one PGA tournament and it was the Quicken Loans a few years back when it was at RTJ in Manassas. There weren't a lot of big names that year. We stayed until the end and it must have taken us 2 hours to get a bus to take us to our car. The best thing was my son works there and he got us 2 member passes. They were good for anything you wanted and special veiwing priviledges.

If you follow PGA it really is something special to see a major tourny in person. I was able to go to the US Open in 2013 at Merion in PA. All the big names were there. It was a circus. Countless vendors and freebies given out.
I followed Tiger and Rory standing 10' away on some holes. I even met one of the guys that yells "Bababooey!" I would do it again in a heartbeat if given the opportunity.

Last night, I bottled 5 cases. I had both a Viognier (from a juice bucket) and a WE Eclipse Yakima Pinot Gris ready to bottle. They have been ready for some time, but the hot weather made it more important for me to get my "summer whites" into bottles.

After some bench testing, I decided to bottle:
-20 straight Viognier
-20 straight Pinot Gris
-21 blends of 50/50 Viognier/PG

Unfortunately, I tweaked my hip flexor or something in that area while bottling, and I am hobbling around today!

Last night, I bottled 5 cases. I had both a Viognier (from a juice bucket) and a WE Eclipse Yakima Pinot Gris ready to bottle. They have been ready for some time, but the hot weather made it more important for me to get my "summer whites" into bottles.

After some bench testing, I decided to bottle:
-20 straight Viognier
-20 straight Pinot Gris
-21 blends of 50/50 Viognier/PG

Unfortunately, I tweaked my hip flexor or something in that area while bottling, and I am hobbling around today!

Just so you understand the process, you're supposed to tweak your wine and not your body. I know I'm a beginner but this much I know.

This is why you don't start sampling until AFTER you've completed the bottling.

Well, to be fair to me, I didn't FEEL anything wrong at the time.... :) :D :)

Here is a trip down memory lane...

HOW MUCH DO YOU DRINK WHILE BOTTLING?
I find it way to easy to put the bottling wand directly into my glass while bottling. Needless to say I usually only get 29 bottles out of a kit ;). Just curios if anyone else has this problem?

More like "How much do I bottle while drinking?" :)

Finally getting to catch up on some projects at home after vacationing for a week. One of them was to get some of my older clothes down from the girls' closet and see what I could fit into. Turned out there were a bunch of 38 x 32 jeans up there, some fit, some a bit tight. All the more motivation to keep dropping pounds. I think if I can get down to 200 lbs, they will all fit. One of them is lined with flannel so they will be great to wear while shoveliong the record snows we will get this winter. I know we will get them as my oldest won't be around anymore to help me shovel (actuallly, he shoveled and I watched, drinking a beer). Maybe my wife will take up my position and watch while drinking a glass of wine and pointing out where I missed.

Back