Zucchini Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

St Allie

Tech Administrator
Reaction score
ZUCCHINI WINE

5-6 lbs fresh zucchini, chopped
2-1/2 lbs finely granulated sugar
1 11-oz can Welch's 100% White Grape Juice Frozen Concentrate
1-1/3 tsp acid blend
1/2 oz fresh ginger root thinly sliced
1 crushed Campden tablet
6-1/2 pts water
1 tsp yeast nutrient
Hock, Sauternes or Champagne yeast

Bring 3 cups water to boil and dissolve sugar in it completely. Set aside. Meanwhile, Select, wash and chop the unpeeled zucchini cross-wise into 1/2-inch pieces. Mix all ingredients except the yeast in primary, cover, and set aside for 10-12 hours. Add activated yeast and recover primary. Stir every 6-8 hours for 3 days, then strain off solids and transfer liquid into secondary. Press solids lightly and hold liquid from them, covered. When vigorous fermentation subsides, add reserved liquid, top up if necessary, and attach airlock. Rack after 4 weeks, top up and reattach airlock. Rack again after additional 4 weeks. If wine has not cleared, add amylase according to instructions and set aside additional month. Fine with Bentonite if desired, rack 10 days later, stabilize and sweeten to taste. Wait 3 weeks before bottling to see if wine is indeed stable. Wine should be aged 3 months after bottling.

Gallon batch

Source:

Jack Keller's Website

Allie, I never in the world would have thought of making zucchini wine. From what I gather, folks will try just about anything in wine making. One of the things that makes it so interesting, I think.

Now if I can just figure out how to juice that 'possum I caught last night....

Okay, Allie, I ran this by SWMBO since we have three huge zucchini sitting here. Reaction was 'bleah!'. So tell me, what would you say it tastes like?

OP..

even banana wine doesn't taste like bananas after the fermentation process.. i would say it would end up being a dry table white..

might be worth doing a gallon as an experiment.. it's heading into summer here.. if I get given courgettes this year.. I'll give it a go..

Allie

Allie
Did you do the Zucchini wine if you did how did it taste

I spent the end of december and the whole of january cleaning my holiday home. That's why all my primaries & secondaries are empty at present. I have just got a few courgette plants into the veg garden now I'm back and hope to get a few courgettes out of them before autumn. If I have enough, will do a gallon batch and let you know what it was like..

Allie

Allie
I have some ground Zucchini in the freezer how would you go about using this if you had it to make a gallon size batch
Jack

the recipe above is for a gallon batch.. how much zucchini do you have?

Allie

We have alot not sure how much but we put up alot for bread

You'll need to get it out of the freezer and weigh it. we can work from there.

Allie

Do I need to have a strainer bag or can it be fermented likes grapes

If it's ground up and you don't like mess, use a strainer bag.

I don't bother with strainer bags and strain it through muslin and squeeze it out, when it's moved to secondary.

how much have you got?

Allie

you could double this recipe Jack..

http://scorpius.spaceports.com/~goodwine/zucchiniwine.htm

I'd be inclined to use a fruit juice as the base, rather than water.. So apart from a small amount of boiling water initially.. top up the rest of the wine with say, a storebought applejuice?.. otherwise I think this will be a bit thin? (there're no raisins in the recipe either)

and use 6lb zucchini per gallon to give it more body.. throw in a couple of bananas too.

What are your thoughts?

Allie

That sounds like a very good ideal I think I will put it together I will keep you posted

if you are going to throw in the bananas, boil them in the water, strain off the banana pulp and pour the banana water over the must.. it'll save you straining out more lees later.

this could be quite interesting .. oh and keep the SG around 1.080-1.090..

unless you want to cellar it for ages of course.

Allie:bt

Thanks for the information I was wondering about the bananas

you're welcome.. why are you still here?

get moving young man!

Allie :p

Well I am off to the kitchen to try a new wine recipe thank you for your help

Latest posts

Back