Zinfandel

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oak always depends on ones taste. I for one like oak and I always oak my Zinfandels with heavy toast American oak, 4-6 oz. in secondary in a 6 gallon carboy.

Oak always depends on ones taste. I for one like oak and I always oak my Zinfandels with heavy toast American oak, 4-6 oz. in secondary in a 6 gallon carboy.

Don't listen to him!, american oak :s. :) :) :) :) :) :) Medium French toast 6 OZ for 2 months :dg

Last edited:

Don't listen to him!, american oak :s. :) :) :) :) :) :) Medium French toast 6 OZ for 2 months :dg

Don't listen to either of them.. Med Toast American Oak Barrel (225 liters) for at least a year! :) :) :)

Nope your all wrong......

50/50 blend of american oak and french oak!

Ask three winemakers.......

Get 5 different opinions!

There is one thing in common with all the above answers. And that is the recommendation of using oak.

Nailed it Jim!!! Now all Coolsprings has to do is generate his own experience to pass along:b

Nope your all wrong......

50/50 blend of american oak and french oak!

Ask three winemakers.......

Get 5 different opinions!

That got me thinking..

Anybody know if there are barrels that are made up of a blend of woods?? (50% American, and 50% French)??

Have never seen one like that but winemakers usually have a selection of barrels and barrel types so they can put 50% into French and 50% into American and then blend the wines down the road. When I was doing my research several years ago on Zin and Oak I looked to my favorite Zins for assistance. I like a touch of American as a little goes a long way for me with that wood. Sure enough my favorite Zins (Seghesio) used a blend of both oak types. Since my barrels are all neutral I use a 50/50 blend of the two either spirals, Winestix, cubes whatever I have.

Works for this winemaker!

I did a new American oak on 30 gallons on a new barrel last year. I liked it so much, doing 60 gallons in a new American barrel this year! But, I would definitely add some oak to the Zin to compliment the spice.

I did some unoaked last year, it went fast. I can't imagine it being better. Two batches going now will oak one!

You guys are killing me here!! I already have 3 20L barrels (1 Hungarian 2 French) now I need an American? I oaked my Zin port on French medium cubes, now it's in the Hungarian barrel. I'd have to say medium might not be enough. I'd either go medium plus and/or add some heavy toast in very light amounts. It seems to be able to handle it.

That got me thinking..

Anybody know if there are barrels that are made up of a blend of woods?? (50% American, and 50% French)??

I remember talking with the owner of a local winery/LHBS and she said the suppliers they get barrels from raised their prices. Since then they get a barrel that is mixed French/American because it's half the cost. Top and bottom is French and the rest is American was what they said. I can look into it more if your interested to get the supplier or maker of the barrels.

This thread has inspired me - I added 2 ounces of medium toast French oak cubes last night to my Chilean Zin from the spring currently aging in carboy. However, I also ordered some heavy toast cubes today as Rocky's usage of heavy toast is certainly intriguing. Never used heavy toast but may be a good fit for my Malbec currently aging also.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back