WineXpert zinfandel kit recommendations

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derunner

Reaction score
What kits would you recommend in a zinfandel and white zinfandel? I recently found Double Decker Zinfandel and found it very smooth to drink. It is about 14%abv. I believe it is light on tanins and oak compared to some other zinfandels. I'm not sure if it would be considered off-dry or med-dry?

Any recommendations for something similar? doesn't have to be wine expert.

And also in white zinfandel, any recommendations?

I started a Cellar Craft Showcase Old Vine Zin back in April. It's been in the bottle a little over a month now, and is coming along nicely. You'll get a lot of recommendations for this kit around here, but will also be told to give it a year.

Two I have made and highly recommend are the Cellar Craft Showcase and the RJS Winery Series. They are both great and you will likely save a little money with the CC.

Two I have made and highly recommend are the Cellar Craft Showcase and the RJS Winery Series. They are both great and you will likely save a little money with the CC.

Rocky, how would you describe these zinfandels? I find i really like some zins like the double decker and not others like boggle old vine zin which I find kind of bitter. I am drinking some of the boggle and i think it is heaver with oak and tanins. funny thing i the boggle was better (not great) last night on the first 2 glasses i drank, than it i tonight. Does zin not store well?

So before I make 30 bottles of like what I'm drinking tonight, I was curious how smooth the CC and RJS Winery Series is? And could if they are strong oak or tanans, could you do something to reduce that when you mak the kit? Like add part of the oak, or leave the grape skins in for less time?

Thanks, Pat

Pat, I am reasonably sure that even the kits would vary from year to year. I found that the Winery Series had stronger blackberry taste indicating a higher sugar content in the grapes at harvest. The CC Showcase was more in the raspberry taste indicating slightly less sugar at harvest. I believe the Winery series kit was from 2010's harvest and the CC kit was from the 2011 harvest. Everyone's taste is different. I like the oak and tannin because I need to balance the higher alcohol content of the wine (they ran from 14-15%). I have also blended both kits with Muscat wine into an Italian "table wine" similar to what my family used to make many years ago and that wine is really nice, smooth with a little sweetness from the Muscat.

I think any kit that you get from the 2012 harvest will be superb and more like the Winery Series from 2010 described above.

Pat, I am reasonably sure that even the kits would vary from year to year. I found that the Winery Series had stronger blackberry taste indicating a higher sugar content in the grapes at harvest. The CC Showcase was more in the raspberry taste indicating slightly less sugar at harvest. I believe the Winery series kit was from 2010's harvest and the CC kit was from the 2011 harvest. Everyone's taste is different. I like the oak and tannin because I need to balance the higher alcohol content of the wine (they ran from 14-15%). I have also blended both kits with Muscat wine into an Italian "table wine" similar to what my family used to make many years ago and that wine is really nice, smooth with a little sweetness from the Muscat.

I think any kit that you get from the 2012 harvest will be superb and more like the Winery Series from 2010 described above.

Thanks for the information. As this involves individual taste, it is hard to say how smooth a particular wine is.

I called Vineco (CC) to get their take on their zinfandel kit, and they said it was not too strong on oak, but did have a fare amount of tannins from the grape pack. so I asked if less days of the grape pack in the primary fermentor might be a good idea. And they said to keep it in for the entire primary fermentation.

I don't know what the instructions say since i don't have the kit yet, but don't some of you stir and squeeze these grape packs every day? Wouldn't that release more flavors and tannins? I'm thinking if i got this into secondary as soon as it is ready per SG it would be better than letting it sit in primary a full 7 days. Is this correct logic? less time with skins would mean less tannins?

The Vineco staff also said that bulk aging would be good for this kit if i can do it. And that after fully degassed/clarifid, that using a sold bung would be better than an air lock. I think just because of risk of it not fitting as welland dring out.

derunner,

An update to my previous post: I shared some of my Zin with a friend this weekend and his first observation was how "smooth" it was. Not knowing exactly how he's defining "smooth", it seemed to me as if he was getting light tannins. My tasting notes on this one so far are consistent with that. In fact, the last couple times I've sampled it, I've noted that I'd add more oak and possibly some Tancor Grand Cru tannin when I do this next. Hope that helps.

Jim

Derunner, I made both of these kits 2 1/2 years ago. Based on the description of taste preference I suggest the CC Showcase OVZ. I find it to be more fruit forward and less tannins. Slightly lower ABV also. I found it to take 2 years for these to hit their stride and at 2 1/2 are getting pretty darn good. The RJS Winery series is good as well but is more structured with higher tannins.

Derunner, I made both of these kits 2 1/2 years ago. Based on the description of taste preference I suggest the CC Showcase OVZ. I find it to be more fruit forward and less tannins. Slightly lower ABV also. I found it to take 2 years for these to hit their stride and at 2 1/2 are getting pretty darn good. The RJS Winery series is good as well but is more structured with higher tannins.

Thanks Rick, Tthe CC Showcase OVZ is what I am thinking of buying now. Though my local store has the WE OVZ. Have you by chance made that one and could compare?

No I have not made the WE kit.
Thanks Rick.

If the CC Showcase LOVZ is as good as everyone says, I'll probably need to make a second and thrid batch soon after or they will never get to 2 years old.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back