Zinfandel: how do you prefer to oak it?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BTW, if you use AMH yeast, definitely rehydrate, add any nutrients (like Go Ferm) and make a starter using 10% of the must. This one definitely has a long lag time, took 24 hours until it showed "some" signs of life, then up to 32 hours until some cap formation started. Now at 38 hours and I'm doing my first punch down, and it isn't all that thick of a cap. Lallamand does say it is a long lag/slow fermentor. Hoping I can press by next Sunday, before the Eagles/Steelers game, but that may not work out, guess the wine will have to wait, I have priorities, you know.

BTW, if you use AMH yeast, definitely rehydrate, add any nutrients (like Go Ferm) and make a starter using 10% of the must. This one definitely has a long lag time, took 24 hours until it showed "some" signs of life, then up to 32 hours until some cap formation started. Now at 38 hours and I'm doing my first punch down, and it isn't all that thick of a cap. Lallamand does say it is a long lag/slow fermentor. Hoping I can press by next Sunday, before the Eagles/Steelers game, but that may not work out, guess the wine will have to wait, I have priorities, you know.

I ended up getting some AMH, but didn't use it for that reason. I've got a schedule to keep!! :w

I added my first addition (5 g) of Fermaid O and threw in my Opti-red, and I can tell that it has picked up some steam. Cap is about 2 inches thick (hard to tell the cap and the rest since it's all grapes at this point). Currently listening to two juice buckets bubble (a Pinot Grigio and a White Zin, both mine and my older brothers white Zin needed larger quarters, acted more like a red than a white). They are now dueling...I could fall asleep to this...zzzzzzzzzz.

The Zin is going through MLF at the moment, have read that adding some oak gives some nooks and crannies for the MLB to attach to, so opened the X-oakers pack to throw some in. Wow, what an intense aroma, even my wife who doesn't fancy oak liked it. My boy (17.5 yr old) guessed it was oak but thought it was Hungarian, nice try. Put two in and realized I was running out of space in the carboy, so have food saved the balance until I rack after MLF. Holding off on the American cubes for the other carboy until I rack that one also.

Hard to believe, I'm at work so I'll have to check my pitch date, but I show a chromatography on 10/3 (on another thread), so I doubt I pitched before that date. The Zin appears almost done. Guess that stirring every third day or so is the key for me.

Will let this hang out for a few more weeks and retest when @jgmann67 sends me samples on his PS and Chardonnay, then I'll rack and do the Kmeta thing and add some oak.

Edit: pitched it 10/4 in the morning before school bus/work. I took the sample 10/18 just before going to bed, so exactly two weeks, amazing.

10-20-16_chromo.jpg

Last edited:
I was thinking of shooting a couple samples your way next weekend, actually. The chard is most likely done. And, the PS is probably there too.

Just use those syringes and put each in a baggie and hand off to my brother. Just don't do it in front of the cameras or we'll see your mug shot in the local paper. Remember, I don't need a whole bunch.

Finally got around to racking and adding some Kmeta. Added the rest of the French Med + Xoakers to the three gallon batch (now 8 spheres total) and 60 g of American Med + cubes to the 5 gallon carboy. Actually didn't taste as after adding the oak I didn't need to top up.

If I was thinking, which I don't do on a consistent basis, I would have either put cubes in both, or spheres in both to better compare American vs. French oak profiles. Oh well, I'm sure I'll make another Zin batch at some point. Smelled really good and had nice dark color (much darker than the Cab Franc and Pinot Noir batches).

I finally racked this, for what I was thinking the last time. It's been AIO racked 4 times (and also racked with gravity almost as many as AIO). It still has CO2 *&@#$%! Guess I'm gonna let it warm up a bit (it's been in the basement all two years of it's existence since I bought the grapes) and AIO rack it again tonight or tomorrow, I was really hoping to get this one bottled today. Oh well, took a taste (since the aroma was fantastic) and the oak isn't overdone (Xoakers in it for almost two years) and it is very enjoyable. Extremely clear, as it should be, need to bottle so I can enjoy some for Thanksgiving!

Finally bottled this morning. AIO'ed it several times, the CO2 seems to have dissipated. Set out a small leftover sample for the resident fruit flies. They seemed to like it, so I'm guessing there is still some fruit in the flavor profile. Made up one small sampler (375 ml) that I'll try around Christmas time.

Finally bottled this morning. AIO'ed it several times, the CO2 seems to have dissipated. Set out a small leftover sample for the resident fruit flies. They seemed to like it, so I'm guessing there is still some fruit in the flavor profile. Made up one small sampler (375 ml) that I'll try around Christmas time.

It might be time to take the mittens off and actually enjoy this wine! Over 2 years old, I think you can splurge and crack a full bottle at Christmas........ or now.
My personal opinion— bottle shock is an old wives tale! Drink up

Can't believe you still had CO2 in there, but agree w/ AJ. Drink up, dude!
Yeah, surprised me too. Well if there is CO2 in there, not as much chance of oxidizing the wine, which is a good thing since I've become so "patient" with my wines lately.
It might be time to take the mittens off and actually enjoy this wine! Over 2 years old, I think you can splurge and crack a full bottle at Christmas........ or now.
My personal opinion— bottle shock is an old wives tale! Drink up

I think we have a get together possibly planned with the whole family over Christmas/New Years, I'll take one of those with me to try out. I've got a Pinot Noir that I bottled 6 months ago that is now 31 months old that I need to try first, maybe today. Didn't do anything special for me the last time I tried it, but Pinots can be fickle.

Are there still separate xoaker/cube batches?

Eagerly awaiting Christmas for an update on this thread.

I think we have a get together possibly planned with the whole family over Christmas/New Years, I'll take one of those with me to try out. I've got a Pinot Noir that I bottled 6 months ago that is now 31 months old that I need to try first, maybe today. Didn't do anything special for me the last time I tried it, but Pinots can be fickle.[/QUOTE]

Is there any way I can block threads that talk about 2 year old wines let alone 31 months. I'll unblock them in 2020. LOL!

Is there any way I can block threads that talk about 2 year old wines let alone 31 months. I'll unblock them in 2020. LOL!
You are just jealous because you drink like a fish and can't keep them around that long!

Just kidding, have only recently developed my hands off policy to let them age. I think the quantity I have amassed has helped with that endeavor. Also letting them in the carboy and not "tipping" them on a regular basis has helped too.

You are just jealous because you drink like a fish and can't keep them around that long!

Just kidding, have only recently developed my hands off policy to let them age. I think the quantity I have amassed has helped with that endeavor. Also letting them in the carboy and not "tipping" them on a regular basis has helped too.

Hmmmmm. I seem to recall a time when you referred to your racking cane as one big ass straw! New policy must have been implemented after this I guess ! Lol

Oh- and I think our boy Fred isn’t gonna have any issues with the quantity needed for ability to age. We witnessed his addiction spiral out of control throughout 2018!

Latest posts

Back