Zinfandel - fermenting faster than expected

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with this. Used it starting Saturday and by Sunday morning it already had markedly changed the wine and liquified the must. And the amount involved is tiny. I want to say I added 2.2 grams of the EX-V to 30 gallons of must. It's like instant color, and hopefully the flavor comes along too.

This is my first time using Lallzyme EX. The newly crushed Zin fruit had a green cast in the color. 24 hours later, the juice is dark and beautiful. This is definitely going into all my reds from now on!

On the subject of Zin.
This year I am making Petite Sirah and OVZ.
First year in the last 30 that I am making OVZ . I read somewhere last year that Zin usually has a hard time completing MLF even with nutrient and being super carefull with S02.
I always use CH16 . Has anyone experienced issues as I described above.
Thanks.
Bill.

On the subject of Zin.
This year I am making Petite Sirah and OVZ.
First year in the last 30 that I am making OVZ . I read somewhere last year that Zin usually has a hard time completing MLF even with nutrient and being super carefull with S02.
I always use CH16 . Has anyone experienced issues as I described above.
Thanks.
Bill.

I've never heard that about Zinfandel, but have heard similar stories about Merlot. In any case, if you're concerned, there are a few steps you can take to ensure success.

1. If your fruit is in good shape (ie:, not moldy, badly raisined, or broken), skip the addition of sulfite after crush, and add your yeast
2. Make sure your pH is in the 3.3 + range, and that you have temps in the 70's
3. Using a good MLB, like CH16 or VP41 is a good start. Consider co-inoculating, adding your MLB a day after the yeast, this allows it to get established in an alcohol free environment, and allows it to acclimate to the alcohol as it is created by AF.
4. Use a good MLB nutrient to feed your MLB, and a good yeast nutrient to feed your yeast so they don't compete for nutrients
5. Ferment as normal, press off the skins around 1.000 and go into a carboy. Rack off of the gross lees 2-3 days later, top up, air lock, and give MLF a few weeks to finish up.

You should roll through the malic with no issues........

Thank you so much John.
I will be using CH16 and VP 41 in 2 diferent batches.
I have never co-inoculated, I will try it this year as your logic, getting used to Alchohol, makes sense.
I have had issues with Merlot, funny you mentioned Merlot as the article mentioned Zin and Merlot as dificult to start MLF.
Anyway, I will follow your directions, just got my new PH meter yesterday, grapes st the end of this month.
Last year I made P.S. and Merlot. P.S. no problem, Merlot was an issue, however I blended some of both , Yee Ha excellent blend.
Thanks again for your time and reply John,
Best Regards,
Bill.

Latest posts

Back