Zinderella saignee suggestions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

distancerunner

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We're thinking of pulling about ten percent of the juice out of the must. The idea is two fold. One, to get some better color extraction. Two, to make an easy drinking rose that will hopefully pull some of the non-winemakers who haven't embraced dry reds. You know, like training wheels.

We're using Avante for the Zin blend.

Any thoughts and recommendation on the yeast for the rose would be appreciated. Comments on other thinks like Fermaid, tannins, etc would be good, too.

Great plan and will look forward to following your thread. I made a Barbera Rose in 2020 with D21 that was a real crowd pleaser and is now all but gone (1 bottle left).

I'm sure the Avante would work fine for fermentation however, I'd likely not use it, since the yeast will eat up 40-50% of you malic acid which you may wish to preserve to make your Rose more acidic and "crisp"

I've made only 2 vintages of Rose, but I fed the yeast in the standard fashion with Fermaid O and I used "Opti-white" at the start of fermentation. Good luck. If you asked my wife which is the best wine I've ever made, she would tell you that Barbera Rose. So I think you will be super happy with the result.

I've been using Avante for a few years now with great results. Last year was my first attempt at saignee on Zin & Cab Sauv. My intention was to improve my reds, not to create a rose. That said, all my attention was given to the reds. The rose was given Avante & nutrients, regular rackings with SO2 addions, no ML bacteria or or lysozyme.

Not being a rose drinker, I was very pleased with outcome. The CS was a perfect summer drinker as is. The zin was a little flabby & required a little TA to brighten it up. Once adjusted, all was well.

Definitely doing it again this year, with the Avante.

Good Luck!!

My winemaking partner (this year the general partners) talked it out last night. We decided to downplay the fruit and floral notes and shoot for something a bit more integrated. In a pinch, a rose that can pair with a steak. Not completely sure how we're going to make this happen.

Latest posts

Back