Zin High PH Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donz

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, my Zin is reading a high PH 4.0/4.1. I will be adding tartaric acid to lower it down. My question is - how long should i wait before pitching yeast after adding acid? Can it be done same day?

Thanks!

Yes. Can be done the same hour! Dissolve in a small amount of water and stir It in. pH will not be immediately reflective. How much are you adding?

This is one case where it might be good to do an initial TA titration. But I’d likely add 2-3 gm per liter and touch up down the road. Sounds like Central Valley Zinfandel. Good luck.

And I’d use finish volume in your calcs

Thanks for the quick response. I was just going to mix it right into the must but maybe I'll mix in water. The Zin is from Lodi.

Agree with CDrew. Another option would be to strain some juice from the must. I often do that, just because I like to see how the juice's appearance changes when I add a relatively large amount of acid to a small amount of juice. But that's just the geek in me. 🤓

Last edited:
Back